Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar

Northern Michigan

Thinking of heading up in a week or two. What's the word are the trees changing and water temps falling?
    I would appreciate some info on the conditions. Not even sure what Lakes we are going to fish yet. Has all the rain flooded any of the ramps?
    Thanks, Guys
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

2. Member
    Yes the trees are changing, not peak but changing. Last weekend, Black Lake water temp was 59-62.
    I would guess that everything else is about the same or a little cooler. Bring your rain gear, it's been pretty wet lately!
    The fish are biting 8)

3. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Awesome....

Are the lakes at full pool with all the rain?
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

4. Member
    Full pool isn’t really a thing in the Great Lakes, but, Lake Michigan was at a record high water level in July. It hasn’t dropped enough to make a dramatic difference since then.

Wind is going to be your main concern. It’s been 20-30mph gusts pretty consistently for the last 2 weeks and doesn’t stop unless your lucky this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    Full pool isn’t really a thing in the Great Lakes, but, Lake Michigan was at a record high water level in July. It hasn’t dropped enough to make a dramatic difference since then..
    I'm thinking since Tim is a "Great Lakes Captain" and "Guide" that he knows a thing or two.. Tim heads to northern MI to fish our inland lakes...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    Yes, water is high and the fish are biting! Come on up! The wind has been blowing, but in my opinion that only helps.

7. Member
    Took a much deserved day off yesterday and was out all day. The ramps on the Bay's are pretty swamped. The levels had gone down, but after the last 2 weeks they are right back where they were this spring. Clinch/ Boardman River are the only ones where launching is actually difficult. The water is up into the parking lots again and the docks are islands, so bring tall boots. Weather was brutal, caught a bunch but not like I typically do in the fall. Water was 60, so I think with a little more moon and a couple more degree's it will improve.

Lake levels are up, but nothing like the Bay's. Been to most of the main ones in the last couple weeks and haven't had issues anywhere. Lake bite has been way up and way down for me. I'll bash them one day and catch 2 the next, but the weather has been piss poor. I'll be out a couple times this weekend, probably going inland. Dress warm, tighten everything and you shouldn't have trouble catching them.

8. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Mike, you are correct I will be fishing the inland lakes. And I am familiar with the water levels in the great lakes. I was wondering about the levels in the inland lakes. Just a couple of years ago the water was very low on all the lakes up north, that's why I was asking.
    That dam wind starts in September and doesn't stop till spring.....lol

I think it can be helpful too.
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

Just got back from up there yesterday. Lake temps were 62ish. Some lakes the bite was good and some you couldn't buy a fish. Fall color was just starting.
    smallie-01.jpgfall-2019.jpg
    Last edited by LennyB; 10-04-2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added pictures

10. Member
    Burt/Mullett have been running mid to upper 50's for temps. It's been very wet and very windy for the last little while. Currently blowing 15-25mph. I haven't been out much lately due to weather/work/equipment issues but hearing of lots of nice and big smallies getting caught. Bite seems to be pretty good right now. If everything cooperates I'm hoping to get a day on the water this week and can hopefully get you updated conditions for around here.

11. Member
    Last weekend on mullet sat sucked except for 2 teams in the 20's and 1 6.23. Burt on sunday was unbearable. 3 foot waves easy mid lake. top boat , 3 fish. Most blanks. Had to rescue a guy who blew up off kings point . He drifted about a mile or so out in that wind. Bout swamped us both. ( man my 168 really takes waves well) . The weather stabilized and should pick up the fishing until friday night when more crap rolls in. The winds will be up bu you can find shorelines to hide on every lake in the NW corner.

12. Member
    Got out on Wednesday. Didn't find any big schools on Mullett. Water was 57-58 degrees. Caught fish as shallow as 3' all the way out to 16'. Didn't find a good pattern so it was a bit of junk fishing.

13. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Heading up next Friday the 18th for the week of the 21st. Hopefully the wind will stay below hurricane force for a few days......lol.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will keep ya posted on what we find.
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

14. Member
    Good thing you weren’t up here this weekend. Been a while since I’ve fished in conditions like the last 2 days.

15. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    The wind was just howling down state by MIS so I can only image what it was like up north. Buddy of mine in the UP sent me a couple of pics of snow on the ground. Extended forecast calling for rain next weekend so that's going to change and it will end up being nice. The weather guessers can never get a 10 day forecast correct....lol
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

16. Member
    Nice thing about this week is consistency. I think you should do well, the ones I've been catching a faaaattttt.