Single or Dual Axle on P2

Am really thinking about a P2, and am curious if anyone knows what the axle weight rating is on the standard 4" single axle trailer? I intend to do a Yamaha SHO(50lbs more than the mercury), 36v trolling motor, so an extra 31M battery (70lbs) and the kicker fuel tank (60lbs full), so will be a heavy P2, am wondering if I can get away with a single axle?

I have to worry about overloading my current trailer and would rather not have the concern with my next boat.

Would be interested to hear from guys pulling a P2 on a single axle if their tires are wearing evenly.

Thanks.

2. Member
    My 2018 PII has the 4" dual axle trailer. It tows with ease, In fact I angle it in my garage by hand. If I raise the front jack all the way up it lifts the front tires off the ground enough for me to turn it by hand while pushing it in the garage the last few feet.

I was told that the 4" single axle handles it fine. The single axle was an option on the Pantera Classic when I looked at them 2018 as well.
    Last edited by BassCatBrad; 10-02-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    Brad Krone

3. Member
    I had a single axle PII and now have a tandem axle PII. The tandem axle is the way to go. It travels much better. I have no problems placing the boat in the garage. I also experienced tire problems with the single axle trailer with 2 blown tires. I think the load balancing with a tandem axle compared to the single axle makes the boat tow much much better. Hope this helps.

4. Member
    Dual, for additional weight concern and they just look so much better.

Tandem. For functionality, safety, and the fact the boat just looks cooler sitting on the trailer.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Member
    I have a single axle P2. It has a 4 batteries in the rear, ultrex up front. I’ve had it new since 2015 and have towed it to Lake Erie from Atlanta a lot. It’s been up and down a lot of highways in between also. I have had zero problems with hubs, tires or anything else trailer related.
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

7. Member
    Mine is the 4 inch by the way
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

8. Member
    Thanks Guys for the replies, i appreciate it. Tandem does look sweet and does offer the safety of redundancy, but the weight savings of the single axle has me leaning that way, as long as the trailer can handle a boat on the heavier side. Sounds like it can.

I have a single axle now, and I have towed cross country several times with it. If I go more than a couple hours I hassle with unloading it, I don't want to have to do that with the new ride.

In forty years of towing boats, two times a tandem axel has saved the day for me, both time I had a spindles break off . Just tied up the axle that was hanging and proceeded on three wheels. Both times on the way to a tournament
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    If weight is your concern on the trailer they are making a 3 inch trailer dual axle on the Pantera 2 SP they are offering for the 2020 models. That way you get the dual axle and weight savings. Just a thought.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostone View Post
    If weight is your concern on the trailer they are making a 3 inch trailer dual axle on the Pantera 2 SP they are offering for the 2020 models. That way you get the dual axle and weight savings. Just a thought.

Just saw that on the bass cat site. I'll need to check with dealer on the weights.

12. Member
    If it's close to the Classic, BCB says about 400lbs savings. Not sure over a single axle 4 inch though.

Just had to take my 2010 Pantera II single axle trailer in to have it looked at...had a blow out last weekend and the less than a year old tire was completely worn on the inside of the tire. Checked the other side and that tire was almost as bad. Trailer shop is saying when they lift it up, everything looks and spins good, but when they put the weight of the boat on it, it bows out. Mentioned something about internals being worn out. I'm hoping he gets back to me today with more details...

I'm the third owner and have only had the boat for a little over a year so no clue how it was maintained or treated. Old tires didn't show this kind of wear, but he lived 3 miles from the ramp he fished 95% of the time! I drive all over NorCal to lakes so I need it to be solid.

Wondering if they should be calling Bass Cat direct to get parts?
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Topwater All Day View Post
    Just had to take my 2010 Pantera II single axle trailer in to have it looked at...had a blow out last weekend and the less than a year old tire was completely worn on the inside of the tire. Checked the other side and that tire was almost as bad. Trailer shop is saying when they lift it up, everything looks and spins good, but when they put the weight of the boat on it, it bows out. Mentioned something about internals being worn out. I'm hoping he gets back to me today with more details...

I'm the third owner and have only had the boat for a little over a year so no clue how it was maintained or treated. Old tires didn't show this kind of wear, but he lived 3 miles from the ramp he fished 95% of the time! I drive all over NorCal to lakes so I need it to be solid.

Wondering if they should be calling Bass Cat direct to get parts?
    You need new axels with the new hub assembly.

15. Member
    I ended up going with the Tandem Axle for my new boat, and with the Eyra instead of the P2

I have a single axle on my current rig (Ranger Aluminum) and was wearing the tires on the inside pretty bad. I do a lot of camping with the boat and was putting camping gear in the boat when trailering, which was overloading the trailer. I stopped doing that and now my tires wear evenly.

Good call.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

17. Member
    My 2013 has a dual axle. A little bit more of a pain putting in garage (previous boat was a single axle Sabre FTD), but it tows great and it seems to load on the trailer much easier than the Sabre did on the single axle.

If you wanna push the boat around in the garage by hand, or need to sneak it into a tight spot or smaller local ramp... single axle. If you haul a good ways to the lake, and make trips alot duel axle. The construction of both will be fine for that rig regardless of load. The other advantage of the duel axle is more room to step over the sides onto a longer fender, which makes getting in/ out of the boat alot easier.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

19. Member
    Opt for the step system up front on either one of them. My Sabre FTD and Cougar had dual trailers. It was overkill on the Sabre, but it looked and pulled fantastic. You have double the bearing and tire maintenance with a double. The only way I'll have another double is if I can straight shot it in the garage. Even with four Go-Jaks moving the Cougar in the garage was a PITA. You still have to get 4,000 pounds moving on 16 little wheels.

Tandem for sure. I even have a tandem on my standard Sabre. Rides so much better than a single axle.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS