Ultrex upgrade for RT 188?

I have a 2017 RT 188 with the Minn Kota Maxxum 70 SC 24V trolling motor that came with it. I am learning about and considering an upgrade to an Ultrex 80/45" for the Spot Lock, AutoPilot, steering assist and lift assist. All features that would seem to make the day easier. Reading many positive reviews on Ultrex. I have Lowrance Elite 7 Ti units bow and console. I am not a tournament fisherman, just out for fun and sometimes with a buddy. Primarily target largemouth in <20' deep around structure, although experimenting with smallmouth in deeper/bigger water. Some questions if anyone has experience:

1. Would the Ultrex foot pedal fit in the same recessed well on the RT 188 as my 70 SC foot pedal?
    2. Would I be attaching my existing Lowrance transducer to the bottom of the Ultrex, or connecting to built-in Mega/US2 capability?
    3. Any comments on installation complications switching from the 70SC to the Ultrex?
    4. Any other suggestions/considerations that someone new to the technology might not think to ask?
    5. Is there a market for selling the old trolling motor? Craigs list?

Thanks for thoughts.

2. Member
    1) The Ultrex foot peddle fits in box on my 2019
    2) My Ultrex has the US2 built in that I do not use. You have the option to use which transducer you want between the Lowrance or US2. No Mega for you unless you swap to Humminbird
    3) Installation in pretty much plug and play as for as I know. My trolling motor was swapped out by the dealer(Maxxum 80lb)
    4) The most useful suggestion that I can give is to buy the model that meets your needs and budget. For me it was the 80lb/45in Ipilot W/US2
    5) I can't speak for your area but dealer takeoffs are everywhere here. Kinda keeps prices down.

Hope this helps
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey D View Post
    I have a 2017 RT 188 with the Minn Kota Maxxum 70 SC 24V trolling motor that came with it. I am learning about and considering an upgrade to an Ultrex 80/45" for the Spot Lock, AutoPilot, steering assist and lift assist. All features that would seem to make the day easier. Reading many positive reviews on Ultrex. I have Lowrance Elite 7 Ti units bow and console. I am not a tournament fisherman, just out for fun and sometimes with a buddy. Primarily target largemouth in <20' deep around structure, although experimenting with smallmouth in deeper/bigger water. Some questions if anyone has experience:

1. Would the Ultrex foot pedal fit in the same recessed well on the RT 188 as my 70 SC foot pedal?
    2. Would I be attaching my existing Lowrance transducer to the bottom of the Ultrex, or connecting to built-in Mega/US2 capability?
    3. Any comments on installation complications switching from the 70SC to the Ultrex?
    4. Any other suggestions/considerations that someone new to the technology might not think to ask?

Thanks for thoughts.
    1. The size of the Ultrex foot pedal is stated in the sticky topic of the Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motor forum. Measure your tray to find out.

2. A Lowrance will not connect to or function with a MEGA DI or MEGA SI transducer, those transducers are for Humminbird units ONLY. You would need the US2 model trolling motor to connect to a Lowrance or use a Lowrance transducer on the bottom of the trolling motor.

3. At a minimum you probably will have to upsize the circuit breaker to 60A.

4. It is a more sofisticated trolling motor, read the manual a few times.

5. That or the Trolling Motor section in the Swap & Sell forum on this site.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    My 2017 Rt188 came with the Minny Kota 70 Digital. It’s still sitting in the garage. I’ve not seriously tried to sell it. Shipping would be insanely expensive. I may get a few hundred? Installing the Ultrex was not that bad. I have an old HDS 7 up front. I used the transducer in the Ultrex with an adapter cable. It works fine. I don’t use the side scan function. I have a LSS in back. I could network them. I did that in my last boat, rarely used the network functions. I RARELY fish tournaments these days. I installed the electronic compass in front of my drivers console and tapped a bus under the dash.

Im still using the factory 50A breaker. Like Wayne said eventually I’ll need to swap it for a 60.

One more thing. A few companies have copied the Ultrex and Lowrance is one if them. You may want their version so it matches your Lowrance units.
    It is the GHOST model.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario

Thanks for thoughts.
    Just a comment regarding a circuit breaker, I have the 80 lb. Fortrexx on my RT188 and often run it on high and the factory installed breaker has never tripped so it seems adequate for this level of thrust. Good luck with the Ultrex, I gave it serious thought and didn't pull the trigger. Sometimes I am too cheap for my own good.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Another option for your existing TM is to use it as a spare. If you change the bow guard to a Fortrex bow guard, it will fit onto the Ultrex bow bracket making for an easy change out.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Best thing I ever added to any boat was the Ultrex. I have had zero regrets. I highly recommend making the change if the money thing is OK for you to do it.

I changed out mine myself with the help of a buddy. I also helped a buddy install one on his boat so I have swapped out two of them. You will appreciate help for an hour or so at the very least to assist with the lifting and getting the bolts caught and tight. I believe the pedal will fit, mine did. I have now used it about a year with the exact same 50 amp breaker that came from the factory with the RT and have never had a problem.

I kept the Minnkota Maxuum 80 that I had as a spare. They are not worth much anymore and could really come in handy if you were ever in a bind. I went on a long fishing trip last year when the Ultrex was about 2 months old and put the Maxuum in the truck just in case.

I use the Ultrex additional features a LOT on every fishing trip. It is so much better than a normal trolling motor that is like night and day. Talons or poles would have not been much use to me because my boat is usually sitting in water over 10 feet when I fish my home lakes. You won't regret going to the Ultrex is my belief. Good luck with the conversion.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

9. Member
    Thanks, all, for the insights and encouragement. Appreciate the comments about "worth it". I will pull the trigger on this in the spring, assuming there is no pricing advantage to doing it right now. I see Amazon selling the Ultrex for $100 less than everywhere else, with free shipping. Any reason not to buy a trolling motor from Amazon? Thanks again.

10. Banned
    Thanks, all, for the insights and encouragement. Appreciate the comments about "worth it". I will pull the trigger on this in the spring, assuming there is no pricing advantage to doing it right now. I see Amazon selling the Ultrex for $100 less than everywhere else, with free shipping. Any reason not to buy a trolling motor from Amazon? Thanks again.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Amazon, if sold and fulfilled by Amazon.

11. Member
    Personal opinion on where to buy, people come here all the time for various reasons. BBC has stayed here and runs smooth partly because the sponsors pay to keep the doors open. I support them where it makes sense. I’ve never been able to call Amazon and ask which transducer setting is correct etc... I have the board sponsors.

My two cents worth.

12. Member
    I bought the Maxxum 80lb on my Tracker from Amazon and it was a fast and seem less transaction.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

13. Member
    Check out our board sponsors. I’ve bought a lot of equipment from Brian with BBG Electronics and have always got great prices and service.

14. Member
    I bought mine from HydrillaGear, a board sponsor. Best deal around.

I got the 80# and foot pedal fits fine, factory breaker works fine, install was simple.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

15. Member
    I sold my Fortrex on Ebay. Ultrex is the single best accessory I have purchased in 45 years of boat ownership.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver