Looking for a great pitching reel

This reel will primarily be used for pitching lighter T-rigs (1/4-3/8 oz weight plus hook and beaver or tube), 3/8 oz jigs, and weightless Senkos and Fat Ika's. I'm putting it on a 7'1 MH Daiwa Steez AGS rod and will be spooling it up with 40-50 pound braid. Since I won't be casting long distances, I'm guessing I'll want a shallow spool. I do like to lock down my drag so it doesn't slip when setting the hook hard, so a stout, smooth drag is desired. Price should not be an issue, just looking for something great for the job. Thanks!

Stick with centrifugal brakes as they are less restrictive for pitching baits in my opinion. Shimano Bantam or Metanium MGL would be my choice and you can get shallow spools for them.

3. Member
    I would go with the Metanium because of its lighter weight. It is still very fast with an 8.5:1 and 7.4:1 gear ratio, but it does lack some of the product technologies that the Bantam has.

4. Member
    Metanium
    Nitro z21

5. Member
    Tatula SV

6. Member
    I was strongly considering both the Metanium as well as the Bantam. I currently have a Tatula SV TW on it and it does a good job, but I’m moving that reel to a different rod and want to try something different. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

7. Member
    I’m a Shimano guy and would say a bantam mgl would be pretty hard to beat for a quality pitching reel. That being said I did have a chance to use one of the new Daiwa elite pitch and flip reels. It was a pretty nice reel. Really liked it.

8. Member
    The Daiwa pitch and flip was another I had thought of, but hadn’t looked at yet.

9. Banned
    Some people will prefer magnetic brakes for better slow speed spool control (I do anyways), and some will prefer centrifugal. Pick a brake system you are better at controlling the reel with to avoid birdsnesting. The Bantam is gonna be a more stout reel for heavier use like your requesting if you go Bantam vs Metanium. If you like the Tatula line, they will suit you just fine as well.

I have the Steez AGS 71MH - incredible rod for lighter jigs, texas rigs, etc. Mine is paired with a new Steez CT SV 700XSLand it is an amazing reel for those applications. It's incredibly light, compact, and tough. The shallower spool won't be an issue considering your applications. It is the flagship reel, so its priced accordingly, but there are several other great options from Daiwa.

The new Tatula Elite Flip/Pitch is another one worthy of consideration. The spool really does help to keep a low trajectory when pitching baits and is pretty impressive. Its also compact, built on a solid aluminum frame and handle side plate for added rigidity and durability, and is a fantastic reel overall.

Shoot me a PM if I can be of any assistance with these!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I have the Steez AGS 71MH - incredible rod for lighter jigs, texas rigs, etc. Mine is paired with a new Steez CT SV 700XSLand it is an amazing reel for those applications. It's incredibly light, compact, and tough. The shallower spool won't be an issue considering your applications. It is the flagship reel, so its priced accordingly, but there are several other great options from Daiwa.

The new Tatula Elite Flip/Pitch is another one worthy of consideration. The spool really does help to keep a low trajectory when pitching baits and is pretty impressive. Its also compact, built on a solid aluminum frame and handle side plate for added rigidity and durability, and is a fantastic reel overall.

+1... I use a Daiwa Steez SV TWS for like jigs and Texas rigs and couldn’t be happier. My next will likely be the Steez CT if not another SV. Very smooth and controlled braking.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

12. Member
    Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions. I think I'm narrowing it down between the Bantam and the Tatula Elite Flip/Pitch. The Bantam has been around a lot longer and I like the fact it seems to be built like a tank. But I'm also intrigued by the Flip/Pitch and their claim about the spool helping to keep a low trajectory, which is something I definitely try to do. I'm just not sure how much the spool actually helps with this or if it's more in the person doing the pitching and their ability. I currently have a Tatula SV TWS on the rod and for the most part I am able to keep my pitches low to the water. How much of that is the SV spool and how much is determined by me thumbing the spool? In other words, is the Flip/Pitch reel really better at pitching because of the spool or is it just marketing? I'm also not sure about the big knob handle grips. I think I would love the 100mm handle, but I'm really used to the flatter paddle-style grips, so I'm not sure how I'd like the big knobs. That's where I'm at right now. Good thing for me is that I don't have to get the reel immediately so I have some time to make an informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post

The new Tatula Flip/Pitch is one that's arrived on my radar recently. I pitch deeper grass an awful lot and have been extremely pleased with my old Tatula Type R for that purpose - I'm blown away with how tight and smooth it still is after making literally more than 20,000, maybe more than 30,000, pitches with heavy jigs and punch rigs. My elbow isn't necessarily happy with that, but the reel is no worse for the wear!

Quick question on the new one trying to get an idea of what to expect: How does the different breaking system / spool translate to skipping? Is the SV still king for that, or do the features that make the F/P a good flipping and pitching reel also make it a good skipping reel?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    The new Tatula Flip/Pitch is one that's arrived on my radar recently. I pitch deeper grass an awful lot and have been extremely pleased with my old Tatula Type R for that purpose - I'm blown away with how tight and smooth it still is after making literally more than 20,000, maybe more than 30,000, pitches with heavy jigs and punch rigs. My elbow isn't necessarily happy with that, but the reel is no worse for the wear!

Quick question on the new one trying to get an idea of what to expect: How does the different breaking system / spool translate to skipping? Is the SV still king for that, or do the features that make the F/P a good flipping and pitching reel also make it a good skipping reel?
    That Type R is a nice reel indeed, glad to hear it has served you well!

I haven't tried skipping with the F/P model yet as I've been locked in with some of the SV models for that application. I will do so however as I'd like to know how it handles skipping as well. It is a very solid reel regardless...

15. Member
    Steez sv

16. Member
    I wound up buying an Abu Garcia MGXtreme 2 off of a fellow board member. Definitely not what I thought I'd go with, but I'm going to give it a shot and see how I like it. I've never had an Abu reel before, so this is a bit of a leap of faith for me. I got the reel a couple weeks ago and was able to go out fishing once with it. Unfortunately they didn't want to bite a T-rig that day, so I haven't caught any fish on it yet. I love how light the rod/reel combo is (8.8 oz...4.5 for the reel and 4.3 for the rod), how well the reel palms, the cork knobs (wasn't sure I'd like them), and I've been happy so far with how it pitches a bait. Two things I'm not sure of is the shorter handle and lack of max drag pressure. The shorter handle is something I don't see an issue in adjusting to since it still does have an 8:1 (32" per turn) gear ratio. The drag will be something I have to catch some fish on before I can tell whether it will work for me or not. The great thing is that if I fish the reel more and decide I don't like it, I can always try selling it and buy something else. Thanks again for all the input and suggestions.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Steez sv
    I actually have a Steez SV 103 that I was originally planning on using as my pitching reel. The only problem is that it's the 6.3:1 gear ratio, which is too slow for me for pitching. I sent it down to The Tackle Trap and was going to have them do a gear swap to make it an 8:1, but then bought the Abu reel and decided that instead I would keep the Steez at the 6.3:1 and use it on my Expride rod for crankbaits and chatterbaits. So far I like the decision, especially since I had a ZPI spool installed on the Steez and it's an even better caster now.

18. Member
    Steez SV TW and put a 95mm handle on it. (that is what i personally use for 1/4 - 1/2 oz)

Steez CT TW with larger handle (that is what I use for 1/8-1/4oz)

Steez A with SV spool

19. Scraps
    Get a Titula to match that rod. Lots of price points in the line and all good reels. One with the "T-wing" would be best.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD