Banned

Filling lower unit with oil...

I'll write it down this time... 4-Stroke 115 with Command Thrust... SN B224433... Do I fill to the top and let a few ounces escape before re-installing the screw, or do I fill to the bottom of the vent screw and then re-install the fill screw without letting any oil escape... Have 2 different lower unit, trying to remember can drive an old man crazy... Dan

I have always filled it from the bottom.
    I took an old metal sprayer. (Those used for spraying your lawn or garden with pesticides.) Fitted it with ball shutoff valve, clear hose, and the fitting for the lower unit. Pump it up, open the valve, and wait for the lube to come out the top hole. Close the valve, turn the prop by hand to clear any trapped bubbles, open the valve, close valve when lube comes out the top hole. Put screw with new seal back in the top hole. Then remove the rig and install the bottom screw with a new seal.
    This way the lower unit is not over filled and not pressurized.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    I have the same engine and I pump mine in from the bottom. When oil runs out of the vent hole, I stop pumping. I then slowly turn the prop to bust up air bubbles and will let it sit for a few minutes. Give it a few more pumps till it runs out then call it good. The book says that the gear case holds 27oz. I got 23oz in mine. Good to Go
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

4. Member
    Pump from the bottom until it comes out the vent hole, then put the vent screw back in first and then the drain screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Erie660 View Post
    Pump from the bottom until it comes out the vent hole, then put the vent screw back in first and then the drain screw.
    This. Don't over think it.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie660 View Post
    +2

And not "still spewing out of the vent hole". Proper level is AT the bottom of the threads of the vent hole.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    is it okay if a little gets out the drain hole before you can get the plug back in?

Quote Originally Posted by vandamit View Post
    is it okay if a little gets out the drain hole before you can get the plug back in?
    Yes.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

9. Member
    I have never even thought about rotating the shaft. I just trim to level, drain lower unit (a little past horizontal), fill till it starts to come out vent, put vent screw in, remove filler tube and put in fill screw. That's it. fluid came out looking like new yesterday.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vandamit View Post
    A few drops: Yes. No more than .5 (1/2) ounce on this particular gearcase.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor