Chick or Nickajack

I've had a trip planned to Chickamauga with a friend for next Saturday the 12th for a few months now, figuring it would have cooled off by now. I'm not seeing much talk about either lake, the fishing, or the grass lately. Which lake has been grass right now? I know where I will launch at Nickajack, but where should I go at Chick? I was thinking Harrison Bay or Chester Frost, but will go further up river if needed to fish the mats.

I'm interested as well. I'll be there next Wednesday. Hoping the grass is good.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

3. Member
    Let us know how your trip goes. I might head up to Chickamauga this month if the grass is right.

4. Member
    If you want to fish grass on the chick, head north (put in at Dayton). The southern end of the lake does have some grass but the better, and more abundant, stuff is up north. I think the grass bite is better (for numbers) on Nickajack, less pressure.
    2014 BassCat PII
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    http://offthechartsboating.com

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlippinManiac View Post
    If you want to fish grass on the chick, head north (put in at Dayton). The southern end of the lake does have some grass but the better, and more abundant, stuff is up north. I think the grass bite is better (for numbers) on Nickajack, less pressure.
    We are going to Nickajack. Its too long of a drive to Dayton or further up river, for one day fishing.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    We are going to Nickajack. Its too long of a drive to Dayton or further up river, for one day fishing.
    I think you’ll be happy that you did. If the grass bite dies, or doesn’t exist, head to downtown and fish the bridges. Just got back from a quick trip this morning and caught largemouth, smallies, and spots. Only one spot was decent but at least I caught fish, which is better than some reports coming out of chick right now.
    2014 BassCat PII
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    http://offthechartsboating.com

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlippinManiac View Post
    I think you’ll be happy that you did. If the grass bite dies, or doesn’t exist, head to downtown and fish the bridges. Just got back from a quick trip this morning and caught largemouth, smallies, and spots. Only one spot was decent but at least I caught fish, which is better than some reports coming out of chick right now.
    I've only fished Nickajack once 5 or 6 years ago, and we fished the I-24 and Railroad bridge and did real well (partner did anyway lol).

8. Member
    Grass is better on Nickajack but there's still good grass north of the Hiwassee refuge on chick.
    Trim up

I'll report back what I find. Thanks.
    Jason

10. Member
    Just wondering what the water looks like down there? I don't think you guys got as much rain as we got in Middle TN Sun/Mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Just wondering what the water looks like down there? I don't think you guys got as much rain as we got in Middle TN Sun/Mon.
    Go to Tenn-Chattanooga fishing forum. Just held classic on both Chick & Nick 10/5-6. Several very good reports on how the fish were caught, and how some patterns didn't work. Water clarity is good, surface temp is low 80's, mats starting to show. Punching and grass caught the big weights on Nick.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalliefan2 View Post
    Go to Tenn-Chattanooga fishing forum. Just held classic on both Chick & Nick 10/5-6. Several very good reports on how the fish were caught, and how some patterns didn't work. Water clarity is good, surface temp is low 80's, mats starting to show. Punching and grass caught the big weights on Nick.
    Yeah, I've been reading them, already.

13. Member
    I'll be on Nickajack the next two Saturdays as well. Where are you putting in at, we are going out of Shellmound. There are boat races going on at Marion County Ramp area this weekend, so just giving a heads up as well.

14. Member
    That's where I was going. May have to change to shell mound.

Hope y'all had better luck on nick than we did on chick. We go to frog fish and maybe we forced it a bit but it was horrible for us. We had something like 10 fish in 4 days of fishing. One than went 5 and everything else was under 3. The mats we fished are shaping up but didn't think they were there yet. Maybe in a week or two things will get better. Everyone I talked to said it had been tough.
    Jason

16. Member
    Didn't go. my buddy got sick, so I slept in and fished old hickory for a few hours instead.

17. Member
    We caught 5 or so in the grass, seems like everyone was fishing shallow grass. I expected grass, but there was more than I had anticipated. Didn't really have much else luck, hoping come tournament day this Saturday, we have them figured out a little better.