Transducer location on Cougar

So,I just purchased a Live 9 to go along with my HDS 9 at console and HDS 9 at bow. I am going to run t at console.
    Removing a HBird unit. Going to glass in skimmer transducer for high speed depth. Also going to use Sherman dual mount once I get it.

My my question is, do I leave on the lss2 ducer for the HDS9 and then add the all in one for the Live? If so where's the best location to install it?
    currently LSS2 is mounted to bottom starboard side of jack plate. (Manual plate)

Advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Anyone?.

We suggest you get with Lowrance on their suggested location. We Mount Live Transducers both both the plate and the hull and it’s not extremely critical. The good water contact with clean flow over a transducer is the goal.

The skimmer is not going to fit well in the hull unless you flatten the round bottom on a sander.

4. Member
    Thanks. Not sure if I trust myself flattening out a new Ducer with a sander and then expecting it to work. I was thinking as long as it was bathed in expoy in hull it would be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfishwilb View Post
    I was thinking as long as it was bathed in expoy in hull it would be sufficient.
    That has worked for me in the past although it wasn't on my Cougar.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

6. Member
    Thanks Macsimus

7. Member
    What are you trying to read at the stearn. Do you just want the hds for on plane, or, are you going to use the live for side and down. If you're just going use the hds for running, you probably already have an inhull transducer. If you put two sides on the back, they will interfere with each other.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    I am putting in the i hull ducer to read the bottom at speed. It's not in yet. Planned on keeping the HDS gen 3 at both bow and console. Adding live at console too. Thought I had explained that above.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfishwilb View Post
    I am putting in the i hull ducer to read the bottom at speed. It's not in yet. Planned on keeping the HDS gen 3 at both bow and console. Adding live at console too. Thought I had explained that above.

IF it was me.
    I would Install a Lowrance PD-WSBL shoot thru transducer in the bilge (sounds like you have), and install in place of the LSS-2 with an Active imaging 2n1 preferred or 3n1 second. And Network them all together......done!

Oh, the AI will be plugged into the live, to take advantage of AI. It will share via ethernet to the other units, even if those units are older. I would also plug 2D into the live unit also.
    Last edited by moetorola; 10-21-2019 at 04:18 PM.

10. Member
    Don't be afraid to give it a try.

I removed a shoot-thru transducer this week and epoxied in a new one. I also put a new one on the transom. Put it to the right of your motor, and just make sure it isn't directly behind a strake.

PM me and I can text you a picture of where mine is mounted if you want.
    2023 Puma STS

11. Member
    Pm sent. Thanks for the response.

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish. I would dump the LSS2 system completely and replace it with active Imaging transducer (on the JP). Side imaging is way better with the Live unit. Run a 2d puck (not a skimmer) on either the Live or previous HDS unit. The puck is much easier to epoxy. Make sure all are networked together with Ethernet and NMEA.

A simpler and maybe easier option would be to dump everything then install a single Live12. I personally like it better than 2 9s. Plus the 12 has a quad processor while the 9s do not.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s