Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a boat from dealer inventory

If you find a boat that you like that is at a dealer how many things will they change on it to make it what you want?

I am not talking about a different motor but things like electronics, TM, and batteries.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

How much money you got?...basically they'll do/should do whatever you want.

3. Member
    They should be willing to fit the boat with electronics and accessories as desired. Be prepared to pay the going labor rate however for the time it will take to prepare the boat.

4. Member
    What about swapping out the prop?

Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    What about swapping out the prop?
    In all the places I worked, that would be a freebie. We gave 50% credit for switching out the items plus a discounted labor rate. Some customers kept the items and sold it themselves to recoup some cost. Switching major electronics can be very costly and labor intensive. Good luck

6. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I'd assume they would change anything you wanted. I know my dealer would do that and has done it for me in the past.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

7. Member
    And having read similar discussions about this in BBC, don't forget the bigger picture. And that is the bottom line out the door price. It's nip and tuck on everything. This is just one piece of the puzzle. If the final price of the boat the way you want it rigged matches a price you are satisfied with, then doesn't matter if they prepped it for free or charged $1,000. They may "win" on one thing and you "win" on another.
    Last edited by BassCatKev; 10-02-2019 at 08:36 AM.

8. Member
    I would say a good dealer is going to do what ever it takes to make you happy and sell a boat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    And having read similar discussions about this in BBC, don't forget the bigger picture. And that is the bottom line out the door price. It's nip and tuck on everything. This is just one piece of the puzzle. If the final price of the boat the way you want it rigged matches a price you are satisfied with, then doesn't matter if they prepped it for free or charged $1,000. They may "win" on one thing and you "win" on another.
    This isn't the same as the thread on dealer prep charges. I want a boat that has a trolling motor with spot lock or anchor. I want to know if they will take a Fortrex off the boat and put an Ultrex back on for the difference in price.

10. Banned
    This isn't the same as the thread on dealer prep charges. I want a boat that has a trolling motor with spot lock or anchor. I want to know if they will take a Fortrex off the boat and put an Ultrex back on for the difference in price.
    They should for the difference in price plus a labor fee.

11. Scraps
    Would think nowadays this is a very common transaction. Things that can be changed, electronics, troller, maybe add a Hot Foot would be the norm. heck, I've seen some dealers that don't put electronics o trolling motors on their inventory boats for this very reason.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I've seen some dealers that don't put electronics o trolling motors on their inventory boats for this very reason.
    I would think that would be the smart way to do it.

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    That’s a $100 labor charge, if they choose to charge you. The question is, if they won’t eat this shop charge, have you cut them too close to the bone on the overall deal, or are they being unreasonable? And the answer is, it depends. Every deal is different, and if they weren’t, lots of guys on here would gripe about that!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

14. Member
    Dealer did that for me for the same price as the upsell would have been from factory.

Why would you want to do all the changes? Just find a boat set up the way you want it ? I don’t want a rig that’s been messed with like that .

When I bought my boat I had them change the Yamaha on the back from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke. And I changed the trolling motor from an 80 lb to a 101.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Why would you want to do all the changes? Just find a boat set up the way you want it ? I don’t want a rig that’s been messed with like that .
    You make a good point, but I would say it depends upon your level of trust with the dealer. I’ve heard plenty of horror stories about dealers who made changes on factory setups and every change made by the dealer was a major pita for the owner later on. On the flip side, there are good dealers [and we know who they are] who are more reliable than the manufacturer.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    There are still some 2018 boats on lots with an Optimax on the back, but the pickings are slim. The farther you go down the line on equipment the less likely you are to find exactly what you want.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    You make a good point, but I would say it depends upon your level of trust with the dealer. I’ve heard plenty of horror stories about dealers who made changes on factory setups and every change made by the dealer was a major pita for the owner later on. On the flip side, there are good dealers [and we know who they are] who are more reliable than the manufacturer.
    Another option would be to just have them take off what you don't like for a credit and install what you want yourself.

It really depends upon the boat. Smaller boats are often less equiped in order to remain budget minded but the larger rigs are coming fully equiped these days. The only real issue with floor models is color and or electronics.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast