Caracal or Ranger Z519

I have been looking at buying a new fiberglass boat and have narrowed my choices to these 2 boats. I have no real world experience with either boat. I currently have a Ranger RP190 aluminum bay boat and absolutely love this boat. It does everything I need it to, except go fast and the wind blows it all over the lake. I've really gotten into tournament bass fishing and Im looking for the total package in this size boat. I'm looking for a quality product, excellent customer service if needed, and an excellent fishing platform that I can rely on to get me home. I have found a 2019 Z519 at a great price, brand new with a 225 Mercury 4 stroke. I have also found a 2019 Caracal with the same motor for quite a bit more money. I cannot find a new 2019 Caracal for less than $60,000. Tell me you real world experiences with these boats so I can make a better decision. Thank you for your replies.
    2019 Skeeter ZX225

2. Scraps
    No real world experience, but suggest looking real hard at the layouts. I would imagine the Caracal would ride a little better than the 519, but would give the fishability edge to the Ranger. Throwing those things out, I think the layout may dictate your choice.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

haven't fished out of either and only seen the Caracal but I will say that Bass Cat makes the most use out of space I have ever seen.
    the Caracal is a wide boat also.
    would look hard at both and make your decision based off what you want. both good boats but me being a bit biased I would go with the Caracal if that is the size rig I wanted.

4. Member
    Skyline Marine in North Carolina has a new Caracal for $57,000. Has an Ultrex but not sure about graphs

I personally have a 12 Ranger Z519 comanche and my buddy runs a 15 Caracal. I have fished both and like both for different reasons. I prefer the cockpit/behind the wheel feel of the Ranger. It is much roomier to the right. Bass Cat places their seat much closer to the bulkhead so the driver could rest his arm on the grab rails. The Caracal has significantly more storage due to the beam carried forward and the depth. They are both sub 20'ers so the big water ride is actually similar. The deeper deadrise of the Caracal offers a bit better wave entry but both ride about the same on the pad. Ranger offers a Z519 (non-comanche) model for significantly less money than either the Caracal or Comanche/L model. The Cat is on par with the Comanche/L and both are price competitive and you are getting your moneys worth in detail, fuel cap, etc...

This is a tough call. I believe I would opt. for the Eyra. I do not need the extra beam on the bow and there is no substitute for the added inches of hull at the waterline. That's my assessment having fished them both.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

6. Member
    I've spent a week in a 519, never spent time in a Caracal other than at a boat show. I hopped out of a Cougar sitting next to a Caracal to see how much more deck space was in the wide body. The wide body is a personal preference thing. I had an 08 Cougar AE at that time. The 519 was/is a nice boat. It took used to seeing that nose down attitude when running down the lake. I always felt like the nose was down. It wasn't, just how the top cap is layed out.

IMO These types of decisions are win/win and you really should contact Ranger and Cat and arrange a demo ride in each before you make the expensive decision. Neither are anything like what you have now. I currently have a RT188. I went the other direction LOL. There is no perfect boat, only perfect for you at that point in your life. I WILL say I've owned a lot of boats in my life. Not one company, even the three Rangers I've owned has ever treated me as well as the team at BassCat. Everyone from Sherm Truss (my dealer in Indiana), to Rick, too the people I met who worked at the factory while fishing their OI's were simply first class people. I mean every one of them!!! I met Forrest Wood once at a boat show. Told him I was looking at buying another Ranger, that I had owned a couple. He "asked if I wanted an autograph" as he turned to talk to someone else. The ONLY reason I own a Ranger RT188 today is because the owner of the dealer I have here locally is an old buddy and that's what they sell. The RT filled my need at that time. Ranger could learn something, a whole bunch from the folks in Mountain Home. Not sure if that part of buying matters to you or not? No doubt you'll hear it echoed from darn near every Cat owner past or present.

7. Member
    Caracal is a awesome boat never been in the other. Customer Service is second to none with Basscat. The build quality and overall construction process Basscat uses I don’t think can be beat.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

8. Member
    Can compare real-life experiences with the Caracal to the 520C - Caracal is a much nicer ride in rough water - without question. If you are not a student of hull designs you should learn them before an investment of this amount. The Caracal hull design provides a much softer and more importantly a much drier ride than the 520C and speeds are not that much different between the 225 and the 250 max HP on these two models. 70-72 on the Caracal and 75-76 on the 520C loaded the same. Fit, finish and component quality - Caracal wins out by far. And, which is rarely spoken about outside of this forum - post-sale customer support for BCB is without peer in the industry. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions - happy to help if I can.
    BCB Lynx
    Mercury 250 ProXs 4-Stroke

9. Member
    Caracal is definitely a good and dry ride
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

10. Member
    These are the 3 boats that I’m interested in. Have you fished off the Eyra? I can’t seem to find any videos on the fish ability of the Eyra. I heard or read some where that the Eyra is better for rough water but z519 is better with tm down.

11. Member
    When I was in the market for a boat I looked at both trying to explore every option out there. Both are good boats I can’t speak on ride but from my opinion climbing in and out of the two the Cat uses more premium components in their boat.
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

12. Member
    cat
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    Never ridden in the Ranger, but I love my '19 Caracal. I have been impressed with rough water performance and how dry the ride is. Lots of finer details that are well thought out on the boat. I would research/consider a 4 blade Fury prop if you go the Cat route and get a chance to order to your own specs, better setup if you get the 4S Merc.