2009 Etec 250 Ho

I’m looking at a boat that has a 2009 etec 250 ho on it. Seller has had impeller and plugs done earlier this year. It has about 250 hours on a new power head from a few years back. He has run only the xd100 oil through it. My question is about the long term reliability of the motor. Are they known to be reliable or troublesome? What items may need special attention as far as routine maintenance? Is there a certain grade or type of gas that these engines like better than others? What’s the max rpm per the manufacturer? Just looking for advice before I pull the trigger on this thing. What compression should I Expedia’s normal across all cylinders?

thanks

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    New power head on my 03 250 over 300 hours ago..... I'd get it....

Very reliable run the XD 100, change the lower fluid with HPF PRO annually, run 87 octane add startron each fill up and she will treat you well.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Very reliable engine. Max rpm 6000. 87 octane is fine, and actually better than higher octane over the long haul. I’ve run several of those big block E-Tecs and never ran any additives in the fuel, only for storage. Very economical and powerful, but the one thing I have found is that if you idle a high percentage of the time, expect to change plugs every year for smoothest running.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Mine has been Great! Everything that was said above, I have found to be exactly true.

I was hesitant to buy my Ranger b/c of the Evinrude ........ but now I'd be hesitant to not buy one.

I bought mine May 2018 ....... it had 650hrs, all on the original powerhead. You'd a never guessed it had that many hours on it. She still runs like you would expect a low hour motor to.

The only thing I know of to make sure of / check out ......... you might want to make sure that the lower unit was upgraded/updated to the Magnum II gearcase. Those motors originally came with the Lightning gearcase. Most of those have been swapped out, but I have seen a few still running the Lightning 'case.

Good Luck!
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci