Stratos 278 Help

I have a 96 Stratos 278 with a Johnson 150 running a new Raker 24p prop at 3.5 below pad. The issue I'm experiencing is once I get around 5k rpm, the steering gets so hard to turn that I've got to really work the wheel with both hands. Steering is easy until I get close to WOT. Only change to the lower unit is a skeg guard that was put on due to part of the lower being knocked off before I purchased. I keep searching for the sweet spot on the trim, but I've never had this problem with another boat. I know hydraulic steering would be the optimal solution, but not wanting to put that kind of money in something that old or that I don't use as much as I would like. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

2. Member
    I have a 278, and the steering is a pain. Turning one way is fairly easy, and the other I have to give it a lot more force. I’m not sure if it’s the same problem you have but I do know that on this boat the steering cables have had to be replaced upwards of 3 times. For me I’ve decided to just live with it for the time being.

its called torque
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.