Thread: BATTERY TESTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    A 500 amp carbon pile tester is what you want for a 1000 amp battery. Like you stated, you want to apply 1/2 of the CCA which is 500 amps for 15 seconds. This tester, which is rated for batteries up to 1000 CCA, requires a 1 minute cool down between tests and no more than 3 tests in a 5 minute period. If you hit a battery with 500 amps 3 times in a 3 minute period, you will see very quickly if the battery is any good. I know this one is probably not the greatest in the world but it has worked very well for a few years now. I have used it on batteries that had more than 1000 CCA. If a battery with more than 1000 CCA can’t hold up to a 500 amp load, then you know it is bad.
    Nope, running it at its max it will need more than a minute to cool down, Using a 1000 amp pile will be only 1/2 its capacity and the tester will provide good long term accurate service. That HB carbon pile is defiantly a pile. I would not rely on one even if I had a new unit to test every battery I checked, there chargers are of about the same quality as well
    Thank You Leon Pugh

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Nope, running it at its max it will need more than a minute to cool down, Using a 1000 amp pile will be only 1/2 its capacity and the tester will provide good long term accurate service. That HB carbon pile is defiantly a pile. I would not rely on one even if I had a new unit to test every battery I checked, there chargers are of about the same quality as well
    I will admit a lot of Harborfreight stuff is hit or miss but I must have a good one since it has worked fine for a few years. The main purpose is to put a load on the battery and this one definitely puts a load on the battery. The manual states 1 minute rest between tests. I actually wait 1 1/2 to 2 minutes between tests and I put a fan on it after each test. I haven’t had any issues so far, HOWEVER, I only test them 3 times a year so it doesn’t get a ton of use. I figure for $50, if I get 5 or 6 years out of it, I’m good with that. I’m sure you are right that there are some better ones out there but so far mine has worked well. I don’t buy any of their stuff that I will use a lot but I’ve had good luck with their stuff that doesn’t get a ton of use. When this one konks out, I will probably buy a better one but until then I’ll keep using this one. I don’t use their chargers either, I use a Dual Pro Charger which are top notch chargers.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

3. Member
    I simply use a volt/ohm meter. I've done this for years with my travel trailer
    12.6 or above full charge
    12.5 90%......simple web browser lookup will fill in the rest
    Below 12 dead cell replace battery
    whatroads - A pun on the "information super highway"
    Tracker 190 TX
    90 hp Merc
    Fortrex 80 w/ 52" shaft

4. mikesxpress
    Allot more to actually testing the battery than just checking the voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by whatroads View Post
    I simply use a volt/ohm meter. I've done this for years with my travel trailer
    12.6 or above full charge
    12.5 90%......simple web browser lookup will fill in the rest
    Below 12 dead cell replace battery
    Well you have proven one thing and that is, you should not be testing batteries
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12