225 EFI Fuel Pressure

1998 225 EFI 0G752251

I think i am needing a new fuel pressure regulator, but thought I would get a second opinion before i spent the money that Mercury wants for those little dudes!

with key on and at idle, fuel pressure only gets to 24 pounds, if you pinch on the line ahead of the regulator, the pressure rises. After you turn the key off, the pressure drops to 22 pounds pretty quick, but stays at 20+ pounds for at least the 5 minutes I let it sit. Almost scared to go test it on the water with pressure that low.

Book says I need 34 pounds. So I am pretty far away from that! Anything else I should check before applying for a fuel regulator loan?

Be sure the gauge is accurate
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Good call. That is simple enough.

4. Member
    Gauge was correct on tire pressures. so it looks like i have identified my problem. Replace with stock or is there a way to put an adjustable model on without having to go to premix?

I wold use only OEM from a Merc dealer, no ebay stuff
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +100

Also, make sure it's actually the regulator that is leaking down (you can unbolt it and hold it over a glass jar to see what pressure it opens at, and what pressure it closes at). Be very careful, however, since you are dealing with FUEL.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor