Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Either or on the deck options.

2. Member
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. Cougar Hybrid just became my dream rig.

3. Member
    How's the rough water ride compared to the Lynx?

Two different types of ride. IMO the Hybrid is smoother.

I ran a 97 Champion 202 for many years and have had the opportunity to ride in about every model being involved with the TOC the last nine years. I got the chance to fish with Matt out of the Hybrid last weekend at Lake of the Ozarks and let me just say it didn't disappoint. The ride reminds me of my old 202 but much smoother and it turns on a dime. The midrange to top end is just unbelievable with the 300. Matt was still working on his holeshot and low end.

6. Member
    Did the hole shot improve? I know that was one of things Rick was working on and it's important for my local fishing. There's a lot of tourneys in Southern Wisconsin that are on 2-5,000 acre lakes. I also fish a few tournaments every year on Green Bay, so rough water ride are important as well.

So is this not the original "prototype" boat that they have had for years? Does the 300 actually get it to the 80-82+ mph mark? I know you may still be playing with props but do you have some numbers now that you can post?

Hole shot is fixed, still breaking in the engine and doing it right. Once it’s done I have two speed props to play with. Currently spinning a Bravo to get me thru break in and two back to back tourneys last week and tomorrow. More to come.

9. Member
    Man. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, it seems like the butt end of it is radically changed as if on 2 rails. Am I not viewing the photos correct?

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfishwilb View Post
    Man. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, it seems like the butt end of it is radically changed as if on 2 rails. Am I not viewing the photos correct?

Matt said it’s an optical illusion, I thought the same thing as you.

11. Member
    One of BCB selling points to me was a super clean and open engine compartment. Champion was always tight. Is this engine compartment consistent with BCB usual design?

Everything is consistent and there are several reasons the merging of the hull design was challenging. That being one of those.

Pretty close to break in folks. A write up will be another week or two. The engine keeps getting stronger and stronger. Still playing with props and think I found one.

14. Member
    Post the results when you can. Very interested in this boat.

Working on it folks. Works getting in the way now. ;)

16. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    It says a lot about the old champion hull design to have two top bass boat manufacturers using the same hull design or a very close variation of it.

Its to bad they went away. Such a great hull design and even interior because it was simple. I’m not a gadget person and hate all the little compartments in boats these days. A glove box and 3-4 storage areas are all that’s really needed, along with an ice chest under the middle seat. The build quality was just suspect on the champs imo.

Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    It says a lot about the old champion hull design to have two top bass boat manufacturers using the same hull design or a very close variation of it.

Its to bad they went away. Such a great hull design and even interior because it was simple. I’m not a gadget person and hate all the little compartments in boats these days. A glove box and 3-4 storage areas are all that’s really needed, along with an ice chest under the middle seat. The build quality was just suspect on the champs imo.
    Transom was an achilles heel. I had a beautiful 202 with a bad one. Looking at the videos on BCB construction my transom being an issues does not ever cross my mind. Champion was great in its day but BCB is better.

18. Member
    Forgive my ignorece but what was so great about the 203

This is about offering those fond of another brand, the ride and feel they desire. This is not an offering that those familiar with our ride and handling, as Bass Cat Owners would desire.

There continues to be a following of the Champion brand and the main hull designers from the 1990’s felt that the 203 hull was the best performing, over the next basis 202. The Champion deck was smaller boxes, smaller fuel tanks and has mixed followings. Drawbacks were a few and people did not like the tipsiness of the wedge rear and narrower hulls. Which the wider tails (stern/butt) of a Bass Cat does not have instability and we nested the 203 into (onto) our hull.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 10-15-2019 at 09:57 AM.

One of the best 20 foot bass boats ever made and a loyal following for this hull.

Quote Originally Posted by tinmar View Post
    Forgive my ignorece but what was so great about the 203

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12