Oil control link arm

I have a carb Vmax 150TLRY. I have read the the arm on the oil linkage attached to the oil pump should be adjusted to where the arm is resting on the stop pin or very close to it. I guess during break-in it is open further to send more oil. Mine appeared to be too far from the stop and my motor seems to smoke a lot when started even after the initial start and warm up. This motor is new to me so I decided to readjust that arm and make it sit almost completely on the stop pin. Any ideas if I’m doing the right thing? Any feedback is always appreciated. Thanks

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Thanks Mike

4. Member
    The arm is set from the factory for the correct normal use oil ratio. It does not come from the factory with a greater than normal setting clearance.

In the V150 model the oil pump control arm is to be in contact with the stopper when the throttle valves are fully closed.

Now just as some folks want to adjust their premix oil ratios, thinking they are doing better for the motor, some folks will set the oil pump to provide more oil than it was designed to do.

If adjusting the oil pump control arm to the proper specification does not solve your smoking issues then you might want to give Pennzoil a try. That seems to be the solution to some folks problems when using Yamalube.

5. Member
    I will see what it does. Thanks guys

2 of my brand new Yamahas and many of my friends Yamaha's oil linkage were adjusted way rich from the factory.... They all ran much better after I tweaked them to specs.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    2 of my brand new Yamahas and many of my friends Yamaha's oil linkage were adjusted way rich from the factory.... They all ran much better after I tweaked them to specs.
    I ran pretty hard and quite a few miles on LOZ yesterday. Before adjusting the oil link my motor
    would smoke a lot, consume more fuel than normal and even surge or hesitate at higher RPM. I
    am happy to report that yesterday my fuel consumption was noticeably better and the motor never
    surged or sputtered or anything like that at higher speed. Smoking was a little better but I guess I’ll
    take that over running lean on oil. Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Cphil View Post
    I ran pretty hard and quite a few miles on LOZ yesterday. Before adjusting the oil link my motor
    would smoke a lot, consume more fuel than normal and even surge or hesitate at higher RPM. I
    am happy to report that yesterday my fuel consumption was noticeably better and the motor never
    surged or sputtered or anything like that at higher speed. Smoking was a little better but I guess I’ll
    take that over running lean on oil. Thanks for the help
    i adjusted mine a few months ago also and no more issues with fouling plugs.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!