Ultrex FYI-broken steering cable

Just a heads up if you happen to break a steering cable and the peddle goes loose and does not steer the motor. Happened to me this weekend ! HOWEVER, I was able to keep fishing using the remote and the speed control on the peddle !! A little difficult in the wind, but, at least I was still fishing. Spot Lock still worked too !! Only thing lost was the steering on the peddle !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

2. Member
    Good to know. Nothing worse than having to cut your fishing day short because of a mechanical failure.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    happened to me, tried using the remote and fish for an hour or so. good luck trying to use the remote steer fight wind and fish, if you can more power to ya was more of a hassle then it was worth missed i dont know how many fish as my hands were on remote trying to steer.

4. Member
    Yep it’s a known problem with the older Ultrex models. They have since beefed up the replacement cables because it was happening multiple times to some people even after replacing. Apparently it had something to do with overturning. Not 100% sure.

Mine broke 20 minutes into a fishing trip on my birthday, one of the few times I actually got to get out this year. I was pissed. Luckily, it’s a pretty easy fix. I bought an extra set of cables to keep in the boat in case it ever happens again.

5. Member
    I have fished several times in relatively heavy wind using the remote and the auto pilot feature. I found you don't have to mess with the remote that much while fishing down the bank. A lot of times I don't even use the foot peddle.

6. Member
    Opposite happened to me over the weekend...all of the electronic functions shutdown and it turned into a manual TM basically. Needed to loosen tension screw because the electronic assist failed. I feel like they still have some kinks to workout with these things.
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019
    Mercury 250 Pro XS Fourstroke

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I replaced my cables with the new heavy duty ones, was easy as stated and I also bought a second set to keep with me as they are cheap in case myself or a buddy breaks a set. My gps board "controller board" failed in the head a week prior. Was replaced under warranty. First trip out after repair cables snapped. Up till then mine was rock solid lets hope I worked all the issues out and she will last till Power Poles motor is released. Then its see ya minn kota!

8. Member
    Okay guys had my cable break this morning an hour into a benefit tournament.

Any help on where to get the cables is appreciated.

Thanks.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

9. Im wishin I was fishin
    Are these having that many issues ? was planning on buying one but if its going to break al the time I'll keep my tour !

Quote Originally Posted by scstarr View Post
    Are these having that many issues ? was planning on buying one but if its going to break al the time I'll keep my tour !
    Every one jumps on these forums quickly to complain, unfortunately the thousand that don't have a problem do not. They actually fairly trouble free. I bought a very early motor that dis have the weak cables and on broke in less than 6 months, since then all has been good. I know a lot of guys using this motor and percentage wise there are very few problems with them, at present there nothing better out there. There may be soon, I sure would not jump on the bandwagon for any of the new unproven ones as I will assure. you they will have issues as well for couple of years.
    I like what I am reading about the brushless motors, but I wont be one of the Guiana pigs testing them
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scstarr View Post
    I bought mine in May of 2017 and it has been rock solid until yesterday, zero issues. I replaced a Tour 109, major upgrade.

I would do it again over the newer ones. As with any new product there will be problems with them, time will tell.

The good news is mine is still under Minnkota's 3 year warranty so I will be making a phone call tomorrow to see who can repair it.

Better it break now then in the middle of the spawn!!
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phnx Ed View Post
    Okay guys had my cable break this morning an hour into a benefit tournament.

Any help on where to get the cables is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Any ASC should have them in stock. If you can't find them locally, give us a call and we can ship

13. Member
    My ultrex has been awesome. The steering cable did just recently brake but I chalked it up to tons of use. The only problem I have is that they installed the cables backwards. Go figure. Have you ever tried to steer a trolling motor the opposite way you have for 20 years??? Not easy.

Don't know if its a coincidence but my spot lock stop working properly and the steering would just jog back and forth with spot lock engaged. Its still under warranty so no worries, its in the shop . Just weird how they put new cables on , backwards , and my spot lock doesn't function properly now.