Better Ethernet Cable for HDS Live and Gen3

I had another Ethernet cable go bad. This simply links between my HDS Live and Gen3. It is a pain in the ass to change so i wanted to know if there is a better Ethernet cable than that grey one. I saw some black cables but they were only in 6ft. length, I need about 10 or 15' length.

Is this a common issue as this is the third cable I changed out in the years since Ethernet came on the depth finders.

2. Member
    I have never had one go bad, the one I have now going from the SS 3D module at the back and all the way up to the bow has been used (and reused) in my last three boats. Its probably 7-8 years old. They don`t take hard kinking well though, so no harsh bends.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    I have never had one go bad, the one I have now going from the SS 3D module at the back and all the way up to the bow has been used (and reused) in my last three boats. Its probably 7-8 years old. They don`t take hard kinking well though, so no harsh bends.
    There was a hard bend where it when under the ram mount but I fixed that. Just looking for something better if I am going to change it out. There is a wide variety of Ethernet cables out there, even armored ones but we need the connector for the back of the units.

4. Member
    I just had to change out one that went to chit for my front graph, it was only 5 months old and it was one of the new black ones. It was 15ft and went from my SS3D under the console to the front. It didn’t have a sharp bend in it anywhere and I don’t know where it got an open in it. I was gonna strip it down and see how they are made but haven’t yet. I don’t understand why they won’t do like Garmin and use a regular Ethernet cord. I do know why really, it’s due to them having a proprietary setup so we have to buy their cords specifically, no way around it.

5. Member
    There is a Ethernet Adapter Cable 2M - 5P Male to RJ45 Female

but that sucker is expensive

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Agree. My HDS units have changed over the years but continue to use the
    same Ethernet cables. Was Obvious from the beginning they wouldn’t take
    a lot of abuse, but I’ve even spliced them with no issues.
    Use a few one foot cables, which as far as I know have not been
    offered in years.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    I had another Ethernet cable go bad. This simply links between my HDS Live and Gen3. It is a pain in the ass to change so i wanted to know if there is a better Ethernet cable than that grey one. I saw some black cables but they were only in 6ft. length, I need about 10 or 15' length.

Is this a common issue as this is the third cable I changed out in the years since Ethernet came on the depth finders.
    The black cables are stranded conductor(s) and far superior to the grey cable which is solid conductor which is dumb as dirt to introduce into a vibration prone environment like a boat. But hey.... Lowrance could get'em for $0.0000001 cheaper per 50,000 feet than stranded conductor.

The black cable is available in 15' lengths...

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    The black cables are stranded conductor(s) and far superior to the grey cable which is solid conductor which is dumb as dirt to introduce into a vibration prone environment like a boat. But hey.... Lowrance could get'em for $0.0000001 cheaper per 50,000 feet than stranded conductor.

The black cable is available in 15' lengths...

I've considered changing out the old grey to the new black cables, but after reading Sleepy's post, I guess I'll leave them be until they fail....

9. Member
    Thats what I wanted to know... I cant find anywhere that has the black but I will keep trying...

Thats what I wanted to know... I cant find anywhere that has the black but I will keep trying...
    Seen'em on Amazon when checkin' out the adapter thingy

11. Member
    Folks may have them but their web site might show the grey ones. You need to call and ask.

12. Member

13. Member
    Russell Marine has the black ones in stock. I called to make sure before I bought my last one, wanted to make sure I wouldn’t get a grey one and they told me all they have In stock now are the black ones. Greys are phased out.

14. Member
    There is a Ethernet Adapter Cable 2M - 5P Male to RJ45 Female

but that sucker is expensive
    Thanks for that info, I did not know that had that. I will find the bad spot in the cable I just took out, cut it, crimp a 45 end on it and then I would only need that adapter to have a spare setup. If that special adapter would *never (wink) go bad then making a cord when needed would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    Russell Marine has the black ones in stock. I called to make sure before I bought my last one, wanted to make sure I wouldn’t get a grey one and they told me all they have In stock now are the black ones. Greys are phased out.
    Crap. Apparently Cabelas is still selling the grey one. I just ordered one Sunday. I think I'm going to just return it for a black one. Stranded conductors are definitely the way to go.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

16. Member
    If RMP has what you need, get it from them. If not, I can vouch for the folks at Fishlectronics. They’re local to me, and between them being a Lowrance dealer with parts galore and a MinnKota ASC (I run 2, bow and transom), seems I’m in there 4-5 times a year picking something up. Good prices to boot!

I just got delivery of my new cable from Cabelas. The image on their website is the old grey cable. BUT I received the new black cable.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

18. Member
    The black 15 footer that came with my carbon 3D bundle has had intermittent communication issues straight out of the box...
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

19. Member
    I put the black cable in the other day, absolutely no issues anymore. The cable is definitely thicker.