Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Longest casting braid

Setting up a spinning combo to throw a weightless fluke on. Will set reel up with some light braid (less than 15#) with fluorocarbon leader. In your experience, what is longest casting braid?
    Joey Aderhold

2. Member
    I get all the distance I need with 10 lb. 832.

The thinner you go the better casting you will get.

I recommend 10lb Seaguar Smackdown or 10lb P-line tcb8, these two braids are thinner then most 10lb braids and will break easier then most other 10lb braids but they also
    break over their stated strength rating...

4. Banned
    8 carriers tend to be smoother and better casting, but not as good abrasion resistance as a 4 carrier. Take your pick.

5. Member
    longest casting line ive ever used is the Ardent Gliss but they are very brittle
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

You will want at least a 2500 series reel. Anything smaller and you will lose distance . I personally cast 20# braid Sunline sx1 further than 10# . Good luck
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

7. Member
    P line tcb 8. Used to only use 832 but the p line is better in every way shape and form

8. Member
    Longest I’ve found was Seaguar Kanzen but the abrasion resistance was god awful. Worst distance was spiderwire, high seas and power pro super slick. I tried 832 but after a year or so it began breaking on casts (even with a ned rig). I stick with regular power pro now
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member
    The main thing would be getting a large diameter spool reel. I’d say at minimum a 3000 series and a 4000 would be even better.

10. Member
    I've had good luck with the new Berkley X9. Very smooth and quiet.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    longest casting line ive ever used is the Ardent Gliss but they are very brittle
    As he said gliss will outcast them all and break before any other...but if distance all that is needed it won't be beat.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

G-Soul SS112 sinking braid - this stuff is absolutely incredible. It casts better than any light braid I've ever used, truly amazing line...

I've got something for you if you're willing to pony up. 16 carrier in the 15.2 lb and above. https://hitenausa.com/products/airbr...-150-yard.html

I've got the 15.2 spooled up on on my drop shot rod right now. Insanely thin, smooth, strong, casts like a bullet, and still performs like new after being spooled up the entire season...you do have to pony up for it though!

Whatever you go with, don't limit yourself by lb test ratings. They mean nothing across any type of line any more (compare Berkley diameters with Sunline or Seaguar, just as an example...or look at P Line CXX if you really want an eye opener!), but this is especially true with braid. They can slap whatever rating they want on it, and braid usually breaks at twice or more its rating anyhow. Look at the actual diameter in millimeters.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

14. Member
    Berkley X9 (9 carrier braid) is really smooth, thin, round(er), and casts extremely well. For lines widely available in the domestic market, the X9 is one of the smoothest and best casting braids I've used.

There is a 12 carrier braid coming out next year from Spider that will also be something to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    G-Soul SS112 sinking braid - this stuff is absolutely incredible. It casts better than any light braid I've ever used, truly amazing line...
    How is it with a FG Knot?

If you can send me 15 yards I would love to test it...

16. Member
    VArivas cast like silk.. I would not have believed it but I saw it will my own eyes.. its certainly isnt readily available all over

17. Member
    Love this stuff!! If visibility isn't a factor, Daiwa Samurai braid is hard to beat in castability.

18. Member
    Off topic, but how would you compare this to SS140?

Btw, SS140 is probably the finest braid I've used to date, but I'm not sure about casting distance as I don't use that line for casting out far.

Quote Originally Posted by ogrich31 View Post

Btw, SS140 is probably the finest braid I've used to date, but I'm not sure about casting distance as I don't use that line for casting out far.
    Interested in this as well. Honestly I was interested in how the SS140 stacks up, nice to hear that it works well. Guessing you're using it for drop shotting or something like Neko rigging?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by ogrich31 View Post

The SS140 is world class line as well, casts well, but in terms of pure distance, I get better results from the SS112. I have SS140 in 22.5# on a Certate LT 2500-XH on a Megabass X7 Simoom now and it's a blast. I love throwing a senko on that set up in particular and the SS140 sinks even faster than the SS112, and isn't as bright. I've caught loads of fish on the SS140 in clear water, even on light jigs/shakey heads on that combo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast