Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Interested in this as well. Honestly I was interested in how the SS140 stacks up, nice to hear that it works well. Guessing you're using it for drop shotting or something like Neko rigging?
    Yes, I'm mainly using it for drop shotting, but it occasionally sees 3" swimbaits as well.

Thanks for the reply Gary. I may have to give SS112 a try. One thing I like about SS140 are the red markings every few feet. It gives me a reference point and allows me to see sink rate.

2. Member
    Slick 8....I think that's what its called.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Longest I’ve found was Seaguar Kanzen but the abrasion resistance was god awful. Worst distance was spiderwire, high seas and power pro super slick. I tried 832 but after a year or so it began breaking on casts (even with a ned rig). I stick with regular power pro now
    Sums up my experience with spiderwire and especially the 832. The 832 for me was very.. love-hate. The first maybe 3 fishing trips were infuriating because it seemed to need a lot of "breaking in" to cast smoothly. Then I got maybe 20 fishing trips out of it, before it suddenly just started snapping on casts. No backlash or snag or anything, I'd just fling out a 1/2 ounce jig and the line would snap basically on the cast. After checking my line thoroughly and tying on another jig... exact same thing. Ended up taking all the 832 off any of my rods that still used it after that shit, was absolutely infuriating.

Using PowerPro on basically everything now. I'd say it doesn't cast quiiite as far as the 832, but seems to backlash much less, seems much stronger, and definitely seems thinner. Very happy with PowerPro. Using lots of 10 and 25 #.

4. Member
    I agree with Bronzefly and Drewflu33. The YGB braid is great. I have it on my main spinning reel. I have slowly converted all my casting reels to Hitena (mainly Supercast). Per diameter, it is the strongest braid and casts the farthest in my experience. I have pretty much tried all the braids at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster14 View Post
    I have slowly converted all my casting reels to Hitena (mainly Supercast). Per diameter, it is the strongest braid and casts the farthest in my experience. I have pretty much tried all the braids at some point.
    I've been looking at that braid for a while, I want to try the silky and super cast.
    What pound rating are you putting on your baitcasters?

6. Member
    Nanofil....

I toss a ned rig a majority of the time. I use different braids and the Nanofil outdistances them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    I've been looking at that braid for a while, I want to try the silky and super cast.
    What pound rating are you putting on your baitcasters?
    I like to match braid on baitcasters based on diameter of the thinnest mono or fluoro I'd consider throwing on one. For me, that's around most manufacturers' 8 lb diameter, roughly 0.24 mm. In the Silky that's right in between the 36 and 43 lb test, Pureline between 36 and 42, and Raptor between 28 and 35. I think the Raptor is a little on the rougher side, for whatever that's worth. With any "super" line there's always the tradeoff between abrasion resistance, casting distance, and manageability (dig in). I think any thinner than that mark and you tend to have issues with dig in, though the roundness of the Pureline and Silky might prevent that to some degree...it doesn't flatten or otherwise change shape on the spool or under tension like most other braids tend to do, I assume due to being 12 and 16 carriers, respectively.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    I use 42 lb mainly, but I have 36 on my cranking reel. The 42 lb is most versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    How is it with a FG Knot?

If you can send me 15 yards I would love to test it...
    Shin Fukae recommends a very specific knot, the Alberto but with seven twists specifically. It works well, so that's what I've used. It comes in full 150m spools however if you'd like to try some

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12