Question Smart Craft Gauges and Fuel Gauge issues

2008 Champion 210 Elite...250 Mercury ProXS 4S

I have the smart craft gauges and the fuel % level is now acting up....had been working fine....Full tank of gas and then it will read 0% fuel....then I see it start climbing by 5% then hit 40% and then start decreasing by 5% back to zero, then it will read 50%....crazy....

Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to replace the sender at the tank? I am sure someone has had this issue. If so is it a pain to replace? Tricks and steps?

thanks...going to cross posted in Champion Forum
    2020 BassChamps Central Lake Belton 1st - Feb 2
    2019 Media Bass Individual Champion - Richland Chambers Sep 7-8
    2019 CAST Champions - Sam Rayburn Oct 19-20
    2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2

2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke
    Texas Realtor
    Helping Texans buy and Sell their Homes

that does sound strange...
    did it change immediately after repower? or are you saying repower didnt' effect it, and NOW its started acting up?
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

3. Member
    repower did not affect it and now its starting to act up. Repowered in Feb and just started happening last 2 trips
    2020 BassChamps Central Lake Belton 1st - Feb 2
    2019 Media Bass Individual Champion - Richland Chambers Sep 7-8
    2019 CAST Champions - Sam Rayburn Oct 19-20
    2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2

2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke
    Texas Realtor
    Helping Texans buy and Sell their Homes

id say its the Sender unit...
    im sure the Merc Docs will be on here tonite to point you in the right direction...
    you may still want to add in your SERIAL number just to expedite the help...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

5. Member
    I would remove and replace both of the wire splices for the sending unit. They should be within a couple of inches of the sending unit. They're used to splice the wires for the sending unit into the boat wiring. While there you could pull the sending unit, use a digital volt meter set to read ohms and manually move the sending unit up and down. Verify that you have a smooth transition in the resistance reading.
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the GROUND for the sender. Often a BATTERY ground, and often found loose or disconnected. Changes in Smartcraft Fuel Level are dampened- so even if you have an intermittent connection it will change by about 5% at a time (can take up to 60 seconds to move from "full" to "empty", or Vise-Versa).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor