Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cumberland Fall fishing

Hello,

i have done a fair fair amount of online research (which I typically do not do) regarding Cumberland, or fall Kentucky/ reservoir fishing and haven’t found much info.

I have almost no experience fishing fishing South of New York State and am trying to figure out what to expect on Cumberland for our championship tournament.

I’m just trying to figure out the basics, ie will the fish be feeding on bottom like at home or chasing bait.... offshore or on the bank.

appreciate any information that you can pass along just regarding general tactics in play, we have a “no information” rule that comes into play mid- October prior to the lake October event.

Thank you!

Cumberland is a high land reservoir so that means it has a lot of vertical and steep banks. Its real easy to find 100 ft deep water on the main lake and in the mouth of the creeks. It's also gin clear. The main shad forage is alwives and they are nortiourious staying deep and roaming around a lot. The lake has an abundance of spotted bass which have no size limit but FLW will require them to be 12". It has largemouth and state size limit for them is 15". The smallmouth population is at an all time high but they need to be 18" so targeting them for a tournament can be risky. The spring 2017 FLW tour event went by the state size limits but in 2018 FLW got KY Department of Fish and Wildlife to agree to let FLW weigh in 12" LM and SM. In 2019 they did not have a tour even in the spring so I guess that's why they are having the Costa Championship there in fall 2019. I don't know if you have to go by state size limit or if FLW has got an agreement with KDFW for the fall FLW Costa event to weigh in 12" fish. If they are going all 12" then that really changes your game plan. If going buy state regulations then spots will play a huge role, especially in a multi day tournament. If your were in a single day event you might be able to gamble on the LM or SM but in a multi day event 4 fat spots and one keeper LM or SM will be a excellent bag. Heck 5 fat 13"-16" spots each day would probably win.

Spots and SM are know to school up in packs in the fall. Find the baitfish and you should find a pack of spots or SM somewhere nearby. Look for birds diving the surface or striper guides pulling downriggers. The striper guides stay on top of the bait schools and are actually an excellent source of information on catching bass. If I read the rules correct your no info rule kicks in 10/21. I would reach out right now to the local striper guides and get general information about bait patterns and what bass are doing in the fall. They may not target bass but they "accidentally" catch them a lot in the fall when pulling boards in the creeks. SM will be more main lake to first 1/2 of a creek and spots are more mid creek in the fall. LM are very unpredictable but typically they are more in the heads of the creeks.

One thing for sure...southern smallmouth HATE sunshine. I know up north smallmouth love sunshine but I can assure you it is the kiss of death on southern smallmouth. As for Cumberland I think all three species of bass feed better on overcast, rainy or what most consider nasty days. The lake is big so any wind over 20 mph can make it rough but a light breeze is a big plus in that clear water. "In my opinion" the best conditions you can hope for is a 5-8 mph wind, heavy overcast and a light drizzle of rain. One of those days where you might take your raincoat off/on multiple times in the day.

In February 2019 we saw epic winter rainfall. The lake got so high they though it might crest the dam so they done emergency release rates of water. They start a slow winter drawdown in July but this year we have had a late summer drought so there is little to no water going into the lake. I think the high water scare they had in February has made them get a little more aggressive this year with the draw down because the lake is a lot lower than it normally is for this time of year. The lake is currently 28 ft below summer pool and typical level this time of year is about right at 20 ft low. I will post a link so you can look at historical lake levels. It comes standard with the last 3 years of data but you can click on the last 6 years and see a lot more historical water levels.

http://cumberland.uslakes.info/level.asp

Cumberland is a tough nut to crack so don't be expecting 20 lb bags. A limit will go a LONG way...remember what I said about 5 fat spots. In fact most bass fishermen only fish it hard in the winter and spring. Early fall can be hit or miss and if you can catch them in the summer it will be at night. In 2014 FLW had the Ever Start Championship (now called costa) on Lake Cumberland. Granted the lake is fishing better now than it was 15 years ago but the weights were small and a limit was hard to find. It might be slightly better now but don't expect lots of limits and big bags. Here is a link to the 2014 Championship.

Select Costa then 2004...https://www.flwfishing.com/results

Link with story about 2014 championship...https://www.flwfishing.com/news/2004...t-championship

Local bass club had day one of their classic on Cumberland Saturday 9/28. I thought the weights were very good for that lake at this particular time of the year. A few 8-10 pound bags with a mix of smaller bags and a few zero's. What caught my attention was there was two fish over 6 and two over 5. That is strong for Cumberland because there is not a lot of 6's in that lake. Here is their facebook link. Look for the post made 9/28 that is the ONLY day they fished Cumberland. Above the picture it will say "day 1 Cumberland classic" Day two of their classic was on another lake...

https://www.facebook.com/greenriverbassclub/?fref=ts
    Last edited by JR19; 09-30-2019 at 02:16 PM.

3. Member
    Thank you JR19 this is way more than I expected! By the way, we have permission to weigh in smallmouth 15” and greater, so I think this will make them much more of a factor. Going to dig into some of the leads you gave me. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by TommyToon View Post
    By the way, we have permission to weigh in smallmouth 15” and greater
    This will open some doors of opportunity. Just my opinion but I would chase SM for the first two hours or until the sun is up overhead, then go chasing spots. If clouds and overcast you can chase SM all day but they are not as reliable as spot. Spots pack up more than the SM and roam less, hence more predictable. In reality you can find small or undersize spots everywhere on the lake. The ones you are after are the ones that are typically 13"-16" in size and chasing shad. The small ones don't roam with them.

i have done a fair fair amount of online research (which I typically do not do) regarding Cumberland, or fall Kentucky/ reservoir fishing and haven’t found much info.

The reason you want find much info on Cumberland fishing in the fall is because a lot of people who fish are hunters and they are in the woods. About the only people on the lake mid October to early spring are you dedicated fishermen. I was browsing youtube tonight and ran across this video. The people in it are well known in the state of KY because one is the current host of the TV show KY Afield and the other is a former host of KY Afield. A little un-know fact about that show is its the longest running outdoor show in the United States and its also the 4th oldest current running show on TV in the Unites States. It first aired in 1952 and is still making 1 show per week.

A little history about the TV show...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Afield

Anyways they plainly state at the 8:25 mark that it is late summer and almost fall. Rarely will you find a bass show about Cumberland in that time frame. 95% are late fall,winter or spring. Anyways I thought the video might give you an idea of how I described the lake. Steep walls, vertical banks and clear water. In the video it "appears" to be about 10 or so feet low. It's well over 20 right now and will be when you get here barring an epic flood. The guy who was fishing with the fly rod does that all the time because he has no use of his right arm. I have seen him fish many times and a fly rod is what he typically uses but on occasion I see him use spinning or baitcasting equipment. I would have never thought about using fly equipment but Tim (former TV host) clearly caught more with a top water popper than Chad (current TV host). I never could tell what Chad was throwing but it looked like a small creature bait.

I guarantee they were on the lower end of the lake. At the beginning I can tell they are unloading at Halcomb's Landing, which is the boat ramp at the dam. Plus you can see the dam in the background at the :31 mark. I also recognize one or two places based on the background. I am not positive but I think I know where the 19" SM came from because the island in the background looks familiar. It's really hard to make out where your at on Cumberland on the lower end based on a video because it all looks the same. Even though I am positive they were main lake I also saw what looks like the front part of a creek. Anyways location of where they are at is irrelevant. I just wanted you to see what the lake will look like when your here. Imagine it down several more feet and probably a little more clear.

FYI... several states in the United States call a spotted bass a Kentucky bass. I have heard multiple stories on why they call spots, KY's but have never confirmed the real truth. I don't know what lingo you use but if someone is talking about KY's they are talking about spotted bass.

Last edited by JR19; 09-30-2019 at 08:32 PM.

6. Member
    Well that’s a lot of info but most fish here are pelagic and move constantly- find bait and that helps - lots of flooded brush- right now very good bite 15-20 fow in front of brush; lake is low now and it fishes better to me-lower the better and we haven’t had rain in 6 weeks- fishing good currently — shakey head , jig , crankbait and topwater for me. Ck back in when your tourney close

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    The reason you want find much info on Cumberland fishing in the fall is because a lot of people who fish are hunters and they are in the woods. About the only people on the lake mid October to early spring are you dedicated fishermen. I was browsing youtube tonight and ran across this video. The people in it are well known in the state of KY because one is the current host of the TV show KY Afield and the other is a former host of KY Afield. A little un-know fact about that show is its the longest running outdoor show in the United States and its also the 4th oldest current running show on TV in the Unites States. It first aired in 1952 and is still making 1 show per week.

A little history about the TV show...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Afield

Anyways they plainly state at the 8:25 mark that it is late summer and almost fall. Rarely will you find a bass show about Cumberland in that time frame. 95% are late fall,winter or spring. Anyways I thought the video might give you an idea of how I described the lake. Steep walls, vertical banks and clear water. In the video it "appears" to be about 10 or so feet low. It's well over 20 right now and will be when you get here barring an epic flood. The guy who was fishing with the fly rod does that all the time because he has no use of his right arm. I have seen him fish many times and a fly rod is what he typically uses but on occasion I see him use spinning or baitcasting equipment. I would have never thought about using fly equipment but Tim (former TV host) clearly caught more with a top water popper than Chad (current TV host). I never could tell what Chad was throwing but it looked like a small creature bait.

I guarantee they were on the lower end of the lake. At the beginning I can tell they are unloading at Halcomb's Landing, which is the boat ramp at the dam. Plus you can see the dam in the background at the :31 mark. I also recognize one or two places based on the background. I am not positive but I think I know where the 19" SM came from because the island in the background looks familiar. It's really hard to make out where your at on Cumberland on the lower end based on a video because it all looks the same. Even though I am positive they were main lake I also saw what looks like the front part of a creek. Anyways location of where they are at is irrelevant. I just wanted you to see what the lake will look like when your here. Imagine it down several more feet and probably a little more clear.

FYI... several states in the United States call a spotted bass a Kentucky bass. I have heard multiple stories on why they call spots, KY's but have never confirmed the real truth. I don't know what lingo you use but if someone is talking about KY's they are talking about spotted bass.

Ky’s are a type of spotted bass, also called northern spotted bass. They should never be confused with Alabama spots though!

8. Member
    Thank you JR19 this is way more than I expected! By the way, we have permission to weigh in smallmouth 15” and greater, so I think this will make them much more of a factor. Going to dig into some of the leads you gave me. Thanks again
    That reason I why I have zero respect for FLW or any of their officials!!! The lake size limit is 18 inches why not abide by the law like everyone else has to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    That reason I why I have zero respect for FLW or any of their officials!!! The lake size limit is 18 inches why not abide by the law like everyone else has to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nothing to do with FLW! Why don’t you criticize kdfwr who worships top bidder? They have played this game with deer ranches/leases and elk for years. Heck, they were in the glory duck blinds while Ky and Barkley was being overran with asian carp!!!!

Point the finger where it belongs pointed, the costa championship could have went anywhere.

10. Banned
    Jr19 gave some good advice. I agree that sunshine is the worst enemy on Cumberland, unless wintertime fishing. You will not have to worry about those conditions this year. 6lb class fish are not rare, but they go a long way. There will be several 5lb+ fish weighed and a few will be smallmouth, maybe big fish. FLW had 12” size limit last time along with a few other big tournaments. It had zero influence on FLW tournament or the overall fishing.

I guarantee Russell,Wayne,Pulaski,and Clinton Co’s will welcome the anglers with open arms. I’m looking forward to attending weigh ins myself

11. Member
    Thanks for all the responses. I’ve been to busy to dive into all the leads but will this weekend.

12. Member
    Can anyone tell me if Lakemaster is any good on Cumberland ? I normally just download from Chart Select for lakes that have good Lakemaster detail. Or am I better to get a Nav + chip?

13. Member
    Lakemaster fine- adjust the depth as lake is down 29 or so feet from summer pool but think Grand Canyon filled with water so imo chip will help very little- sonar on the other hand will and tank full of gas, you ll want to do a lot of scouting

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH45cal View Post
    Lakemaster fine- adjust the depth as lake is down 29 or so feet from summer pool but think Grand Canyon filled with water so imo chip will help very little- sonar on the other hand will and tank full of gas, you ll want to do a lot of scouting
    I have been waiting for some rain and cool weather before I hit Cumberland. I looks like we are finally going to get a break this weekend in temps and measurable rain Sun/Mon but prior obligations will only allow me a short tip one day next week so I will just stay on my home lake of Green. My fall vacation is the 13th thru the 22nd and I plan on hitting Cumberland a few trips in that time frame. I know a coworker went to the large poker run about a month ago and the water was low enough at that time that only 2 of the 4 lanes could be used at the Pumpkin creek /State park ramp. I always go out of the lower end and even at low water levels I can launch from the dam. I was at my barber shop a couple weeks ago and he was telling me the water was low enough at Burnside they had the ramp closed. Since I don't use that end of the lake it has no bearing on me but this is where the Costa is launching from. I was just wondering if you can confirm that rumor...I am sure if Tommy reads this he may panic with the talk of water being that low but I can assure him there is still several thousand acres of fishable water.

15. Member
    I launched 3 x last week from burnside- it’s ramps we’re extended when lake. Was at 680 and now it’s like 696 so barbershop wrong

16. Member
    It fishes good low imo

17. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I launched 3 x last week from burnside- it’s ramps we’re extended when lake. Was at 680 and now it’s like 696 so barbershop wrong

It fishes good low imo

I did not think it was low enough for that ramp to be unusable but since I am not familiar with that end of the lake I thought I would ask...and yes the lake will fish just fine at the low water levels. People who have never been to the lake might freak out when they see it 30 ft low but I can assure them there is still plenty of water and structure to fish.

18. Member
    We went down Friday put in at Mill Hollow. Had a pretty good day caught 15 - 20 fish. Lots of dinks with several good spots we did manage a 4lbs and a 3lbs smallie.
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

19. Member
    Confirming that Costa is leaving from Burnside. I’m not sure what they will do if that ramp remains closed.

20. Member
    Ramp is not closed - it’s fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast