17 521C w/Evinrude 250 HO G2 Steering Issue

Good morning, I posted this in the Evinrude forum, but since there's more traffic here I figured I'd paste here as well.

I was hoping you guys could shed some light on a crazy steering problem I encountered this weekend.
    First, it felt like there was a tremendous amount of play in the wheel, overly easy to turn, but not super responsive. I'd describe as a delayed response.
    Then, in the middle of the lake, the boat took a sharp turn at speed. Enough to be scary. Thank God there was not a passing boat or something.

Have any of you experienced this, and if so, what is the fix?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    If I were you I’d have a dealer check the steering fluid. Sounds like possible air intrusion in the steering.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Bleed you steering, or should I say have your dealer bleed it, the G2 can be a little tricky getting all the air out and yes it happed to me before!!!!

4. Member
    Thank you....it will darn sure get your attention!

5. Member
    Did you check the level in your steering helm?

There is a seal in the mid section that some have had leak that can cause this
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

7. Member
    They are thinking it's the helm. Was missing tons of fluid but they have traced it all the back to there. Fingers crossed, wanna fish this weekend!

8. Member
    Just an update for those interested: It was the DPS steering manifold. I don't know what that is, but I'm passing along for anyone who may find as useful information. Hopefully I'll be back on the water by next weekend!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    Just an update for those interested: It was the DPS steering manifold. I don't know what that is, but I'm passing along for anyone who may find as useful information. Hopefully I'll be back on the water by next weekend!
    That’s what mine was also. It’s a 2017 as well.