Thread: Boat layout

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I agree with you op

2. Member
    For ME, I like having the ability to store rods in the middle locker. I keep my favorite rods in the middle locker, and my “most likely to use if it all goes South” in the top part of the L locker. I strap favorite rods on the R side and raid the the L locker if I have to. It’s just what we get used to I guess.

3. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    One reason for Center Storage might be because of the longer rods? makes it easier to get them in the locker. I have lockers on each side and I have issues with rods over 7 feet. My boat isn't that long its a BCB Sabre at 18 Feet.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    There are two 21’s the 21trx is the HP boat and has single storage, the 21trxS is the 21’7 inch boat that has double storage. Make sure you look at the right 21.
    The TRXS is going to be too long for the garage. I could get it in but I wouldn’t have any room to get around it.

Thanks for the idea.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sflam123 View Post
    It’s just what we get used to I guess.
    Very true. I probably should have taken some deep breaths and counted to ten numerous times before flipping out.

I need to go look at some of these and have an open mind.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    The TRXS is going to be too long for the garage. I could get it in but I wouldn’t have any room to get around it.

Thanks for the idea.
    It is a big boat, all i will run because they ride really good in big water. Hope you find the right rig for you sir.

We tend to agree with this opinion, though folks have often requested center rod boxes and we have 3 models which offer them.

8. Member
    My biggest complaint is that shorter boats (under 20') almost all have a big single lid. There's a couple that have dual lids, but most don't. I will admit, the boats I've seen that have like 4 rod spaces in the center aren't bad, especially if they are out of the way to one side so you can still use the center for tackle. Those I could either keep the big swimbait rods/flippin' stick in, or keep the rods I plan to start with in there. Too bad my boat doesn't have any of that.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

9. Member
    Do you think it has anything to do with longer rods?

My old 392 Ranger before I modified it would only hold a 6'8" Rod comfortably. On the Port side if you were careful you could get 2 7 footers in it but you stood a chance of breaking the tips off. I believe the 400 series Rangers were the same back then. I modified it by cutting the end out with a sawzall and could then put up to a 7'6" rod it it without trouble.

In the 80's when those hulls were designed, 6' was a long rod. Today 8 footers aren't uncommon. The center box is naturally going to be longer without having to curve as the bow does.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    Do you think it has anything to do with longer rods?

My old 392 Ranger before I modified it would only hold a 6'8" Rod comfortably. On the Port side if you were careful you could get 2 7 footers in it but you stood a chance of breaking the tips off. I believe the 400 series Rangers were the same back then. I modified it by cutting the end out with a sawzall and could then put up to a 7'6" rod it it without trouble.

In the 80's when those hulls were designed, 6' was a long rod. Today 8 footers aren't uncommon. The center box is naturally going to be longer without having to curve as the bow does.
    I can fit 8 foot rods in either the port or starboard lockers on my TR196 so that is not the problem.

I really like the split center compartment setup on my ZX250.

12. Member
    My Basscat Lynx has the center rod locker and I really like it. Also the side locker lids do not go all the way to the edge so you can set 3 rods on each side of the deck and still open the lids.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

Never have i wished my baits were under my rods

P01135809

A center rod locker is a deal breaker for me I need at least one storage compartment I can reach while sitting in a standard fold down seat up front

And I can’t understand why they want you to put heavy gear on the starboard side in what use to be a rod locker but now is a bunch of strangely shaped storage

Each manufacturer has several models but every one of them has to have the exact same layout?

There are less than a handful of boats with a traditional front deck layout left these days and they are the only ones I’ll be looking at
    "The handicapped angler"

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Rangers have a full rod locker on the port side as well as rod storage in the middle. I use the middle to store all my tackle as well as 4-6 rods that I always use.
    I do the exact same in my Rangers. 10-12 rods in the port locker, and mostly tackle in the center with my 4 most-used rods on top of the tackle. Then life jackets, rain gear, and other smaller stuff in the starboard front locker. Nice thing about Rangers, and pretty much all of the middle to larger boats these days, is that they have a lot of storage. I don’t like to have a bunch of rods on top of lockers I need to get into frequently, either. But with so many options on a Ranger, just have to find the storage arrangement that suits you.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    No interest in Phoenix? They have a layout you might like
    I tried to look at them but the info on their website is lacking. I had to look at the forum here to get measurements for storage and I still haven’t found a diagram of the layout.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    I tried to look at them but the info on their website is lacking. I had to look at the forum here to get measurements for storage and I still haven’t found a diagram of the layout.
    Yeah there website is not very good IMO. You need to look at Phoenix in person, crawl around in it, they are nice boats.

Side rod lockers with split compartment tackle storage in the center for the reasons stated. I access my baits lot more than I do my rod lockers after I lay out the 4-5 rods for the day.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I do the exact same in my Rangers. 10-12 rods in the port locker, and mostly tackle in the center with my 4 most-used rods on top of the tackle. Then life jackets, rain gear, and other smaller stuff in the starboard front locker. Nice thing about Rangers, and pretty much all of the middle to larger boats these days, is that they have a lot of storage. I don’t like to have a bunch of rods on top of lockers I need to get into frequently, either. But with so many options on a Ranger, just have to find the storage arrangement that suits you.
    My 520 is setup the exact same way and works perfectly for me.

20. Banned
    For the money I wouldn't be looking at anything but a Ballistic if your looking for a big boat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast