Fastbass Marine TV - Gear Ratio Test

Jay and I filmed this one last year. I guess I never posted it.

This was all done back to back. We pulled our cases and swapped and got right back on the water. I would have liked to test more props, but it's what we had at the time.

While I didn't have a limiter on my XS you can see it hit a wall at 6300 rpm with the 1.75 case. As hard as I tried I couldn't get it to touch the top speed of the 1.62 case. It just died.

Fun test and thank you Jay for participating.

Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

2. Member
    So with the data you gathered how long would it have taken the 1.62 gears to overtake the 1.75 gears? I feel a lot of people would like to know that figure.

3. Member
    If I read the data correctly, the 5 to 85 mph is 2 to 3 seconds difference but with the 1.62 already running faster, it would pass the 1.75 gears within 30 seconds from start time.

It actually takes much longer than you would think. Let me dig up the graphs. I didn’t start running the props out longer to look at closure rate until recently.

My issue with testing has always been it is difficult to get enough room to do that kind of test. Keeping in it at 97 is often difficult as I’m rarely alone on the water. To me that statement tells the story and is the reason I went 1.75’s on The R.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

I wish I would have put this in the video. Maybe we will get the chance to do this again with a 1.6 case on the R.

On this day of testing on my boat (300XS) the 1.62 gear case pulled away on the top end at 28 seconds. I have 48 seconds of time on both passes that I stayed in it for a distance of about 1 mile on each pass.

A higher average sustained top speed of 1.5 mph for the 1.62 case. At second 28 1.62 was loosing by 215'. At the end of 48 seconds it had narrowed that to 178'.

It would have taken another 80 seconds to catch up. That would take over 2 miles of running for a total of 3 miles.

I personally have never boated in water that would allow that much time to close at 97mph speeds. I either run out of water, encounter other boat traffic, loose good water, or run out of nerves to stay in it that long.

If the top speed were in the 80's I could see the opportunity would exist a lot more to chase down. I love the Allison, but at 97 I'm not going stay in it to jump wakes or make turns like I would with my tunnel hull boats.
    Last edited by River Rocket; 09-30-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R