Thread: 16" vs 2-12"

16" vs 2-12"

I am gonna rig a new boat in November and was wondering you guys/gals thoughts that have switched from 2-12" to a 16" or vise versa. On prior boats I have had 2-12s on the console and 1-12" up front. But now with the new live units I want to put 2-12s up front (one dedicated to livesight) and possibly a 16" on the console.

Do any of you have any experience swapping from/to 2-12 to a 16"? If so, which do you prefer?

2. Member
    Bump for info.....

I'd like to know too

4. Member
    I have a 18” on console and a 12” on bow I think I would prefer a 16” on bow and two 12s on consoles just because I would have a better line of sight driving but I’m content for now

5. Member
    I’m running birds but I have stuck with two 12’s at the console. For me line of site is better when driving and I prefer the way it splits screens when motoring or scanning. Up from I went a single 12 with the intent of adding another 12 when the mega 360 hits. Allows for a lot of customization. My 2 cents...
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

6. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    I moved from two 12” to a 16” and saved money and power. Putting 2 of the 12” units basically takes a very capable powerful unit and makes it an overpriced map unit.

using the quick access keys I can flip through the various screen layouts so quickly you’ll never even think about 2 units again.

don’t know what brand boat you are getting but get you a Bass Boat Technology console mount for it too (if available). Makes tilt adjusting easy and puts the unit in the best possible position.

I run a 12 live and Garmin 12 on the bow but honestly could get away with changing to 9” on the front now. LiveScope has changed the way I fish from the bow at lot.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post
    I moved from two 12” to a 16” and saved money and power. Putting 2 of the 12” units basically takes a very capable powerful unit and makes it an overpriced map unit.

using the quick access keys I can flip through the various screen layouts so quickly you’ll never even think about 2 units again.

don’t know what brand boat you are getting but get you a Bass Boat Technology console mount for it too (if available). Makes tilt adjusting easy and puts the unit in the best possible position.

I run a 12 live and Garmin 12 on the bow but honestly could get away with changing to 9” on the front now. LiveScope has changed the way I fish from the bow at lot.
    I did the same going from 2 12" to 1 16" and could not have stated it better. I don't miss having 2 graphs and the power usage i find a lot better.
    Phoenix 2021 721 ProXP
    250 V8 ProXS

I run a 16” on the console and a 12” on the side on a balzout. I find myself using just the 16” unit most days. The 12” is a dedicated side scan unit but even the 4 way split of map/2d/ds on the vertical split and then side scan across the bottom horizontally is nice on the 16 and I actually do that quite a bit as well. I’ve been running the 3 way vertical split with map downscan and 2d a lot this summer/fall when fishing deep and graphing for fish.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

My current boat I decided on the 16 instead of 2 12's. So far I have been happy with that decision.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    Is anyone using just a 16" on the bow for LiveSight and all other functions? I am debating the one vs. two question myself for the bow. Have one 12" LIVE there now, but with LiveSight want to go to two screens unless one 16" will handle all.
    ciao,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Is anyone using just a 16" on the bow for LiveSight and all other functions? I am debating the one vs. two question myself for the bow. Have one 12" LIVE there now, but with LiveSight want to go to two screens unless one 16" will handle all.
    That's why I'm thinking about too

12. Banned
    if they offer the right split screen options i would think a 16 would be fine. anyone know if this split screen config is available?