Actuator problem....again?

Here's the story, get's a little long. Sorry. 2017 Ranger Trail trailer. Got tired of the actuator making a banging sound upon acceleration from a standstill. Had it replaced, and on the way home, noticed the brakes were dragging. Drove 13 miles then discovered the shop had left the park brake engaged.

Thought the brakes were not working properly after that. So got new pads, had them installed. Found that the previous pads had separated from the mount. Got home, parked the boat, and I find both caps over the reservoir had been pushed up and out! What would cause this? Thanks.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Caps can’t push themselves off unless the shop that installed your pads compressed the calipers when installing your pads. This would force fluid back into the master cylinder and POSSIBLY/MAYBE pop the master cylinder cap off but not the cover cap off. Better possibility is that they just didn’t put the caps back on.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    I watched the guy install the pads every step of the way, he did compress the calipers (is that wrong). He never moved the caps at all.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. mikesxpress
    Tony the rig is a 2017 so this work was done under warranty?

To install new pads the caliper pistons must be pushed back into the caliper. If the brake fluid reservoir is full when this is done, and you force more fluid into it via the piston retraction, it can create an over full condition. Normal practice is to remove some of the reservoir fluid prior to new pad installation and then top it off when your done.

The parking brake being on is part of the walk down prior to towing.

5. Member
    Thanks guys. I had the pads installed by a friend that is a auto mechanic, so he probably didn't know to remove some of the fluid. I didn't take it to a dealer to avoid the weeks long wait. Mike, do you think that I should bleed the system?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    Tone were in Atlanta are you....Send me a pm.....

Compressing the calipers is normal to get the pads installed. As stated above fluid is usually removed as not to overflow the master cylinder reservoir. Since the pressure was enough to pop both covers off you probably have fluid all over the place. Might spend some time cleaning it up before it eats the paint off your trailer tongue. Shouldn’t need to bleed the system but may need to top off the master cylinder.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Member
    Actually, there was very little fluid on the actuator. In fact, as stated. I watched the guy, standing there talking to him every step of the way. Never noticed anything going on at the reservoir! But I am going to recheck for any spillage!
    Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    Putting new pads on anything one should remove the top of the brake fluid reservoir. That way if the fluid comes back it won't damage the master cylinder assembly.

10. mikesxpress
    The lack of fluid doesn't negate the lack of pressure inside of the capped reservoir. If you push the brake fluid backwards, the fluid/pressure ends up in the reservoir. This can force the reservoir cap off.

As noted above, the brake fluid is corrosive. You want to prevent any of this fluid from contacting the trailer itself as it will corrode paint/galvanizing and etch carbon steel.

11. Member
    It's better to open the bleeder to release pressure when retracting the pistons to get the old fluid from the caliper out of the system. Refill the reservoir with fresh fluid after that. Also, brake fluid needs to be replaced every couple of years anyways, so just go ahead and do a fluid flush at that time.