Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Have you ever not left a tip?

While out and about yesterday we stopped at the Aussie Steakhouse for a late lunch. We had been there before and the food was good and most importantly the place is always clean.

We're quickly seated and our waitress comes by after a few minutes with our menus. We only have about 80 minutes which should be plenty of time for an appetizer and lunch. We order waters with lemon and some Concnut Shrimp as an appetizer, steak casidilla and a halif ribs . We get our water but no lemons. No biggie it happens. The waitress grabs one of the glass of waters and appears to smell it. She then holds it up to the lights and is mesmerized by it like it was speaking to her or something. She doesnt say anything and just walks away with it. She returns a few minutes later with a glass of water. Could have been the same glass for all we know. We ask what the issue was and she doesnt reply she just walks away. A few minutes go by and another employee brings our shrimp out. We dont have any plates or silver ware. Not a huge deal because shrimp is kind of finger food so we eat. Waitress walks by and we ask for our silverware and napkins so we can eat when our lunch arrives. She looks confused that our shrimp plate and water glasses are empty. Confused but not concerned because she didnt refill them.That's were we sat for the next 40 minutes with no refills no lunch no nothing. It's not busy, she isnt even around just poof she's gone. Maybe she is outback chatting with the glass of water who knows. Another employee walks by that happen to be the manager and I ask is everything ok because there is a longer then excepted cook time with our order. He says he doesnt know but will check. A few minutes later he brings it out. Its ice cold and had been sitting up there for 30 minutes. I explain to him we wont be eating cold food and will gladly pay for what we did eat and move along. Our waitress shows up with our silverware and asks what the issues is because the manager is at our table. He explains to her we never got our food. She's like what they only ordered 30 minutes ago which wasnt the case. It was 3:08 when she put our order in on the receipt and 4:00 when we asked about our food. Our waitress really didnt do anything for us and I shouldnt of even second guessed a tip or not.

2. Member
    That would be a no tip event for me, and I almost always tip generously.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

3. Member
    Zero for me on that one.

4. Member
    Nope. Tip is commensurate with experience, never a set percentage.

5. Member
    I'm sorry but I definitely would not leave a tip I hate cold food & to wait an hour ridiculous what a joke.

You sat there way longer than I would have. I usually have good luck with Outback. That crap can ruin a day.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    No. But I’ve left a penny a couple of times. Don’t want them to think I forgot. Waitress was on her phone in the back while they called our order 3 times from the kitchen as it got cold. Another waiter tried to tell us about his political views.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    That would be a no tip event for me, and I almost always tip generously.
    +1 and OP you were way more patient than I would have been. I tip very well...but when service sucks I let them know...Ive said many times when they come up with that goofy smile and say "how's everything" Ive been known to tell them..."not that great for the price, and I should know better than to order (insert item here) here.

9. Member
    I'm surely not afraid to tip and usually do quite well.....if they deserve it. Also not afraid to "not tip" if I don't feel they deserve it
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Only if the actual service itself is bad. I'm not gonna penalize wait staff over a bad cook etc.

11. Member
    No tip on that one. And that manager should have kept a closer eye on his people.

12. Member
    No

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jham0077 View Post
    Nope. Tip is commensurate with experience, never a set percentage.
    100% correct.
    Go Gators!

14. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    In situations like that, I like to tip a quarter. Lol

15. Member
    after reading the OP's, I say screw it ...

You did the right thing if you didn't give a tip.

Only twice in more than 50 years.

More than 30 years ago. A very well Known family owned Steakhouse in Omaha. Sunday evening after the week end rush was over, very few customers were dining. Brought our water and coffee, took our order, delivered the food, never saw her again. No refills, no steak sauce ( wife not me) no butter for baked potatoes. Stopped at the front desk for our bill ( waitress usually leaves ticket at table). Then she had the nerve to run out the door and bitch about not getting a tip.

Recently @ our local Cracker Barrel where serves and food has always been very good. This waitress did not want to be there and it showed. No tip showed she should have stayed home. A few of her other tables around us were complaining about bad service also.

17. 9/11 - Never forget markheb's Avatar
    Tip 9 cents. If they know what tipping is all about, they will understand.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Only twice in more than 50 years.

More than 30 years ago. A very well Known family owned Steakhouse in Omaha. Sunday evening after the week end rush was over, very few customers were dining. Brought our water and coffee, took our order, delivered the food, never saw her again. No refills, no steak sauce ( wife not me) no butter for baked potatoes. Stopped at the front desk for our bill ( waitress usually leaves ticket at table). Then she had the nerve to run out the door and bitch about not getting a tip.

Recently @ our local Cracker Barrel where serves and food has always been very good. This waitress did not want to be there and it showed. No tip showed she should have stayed home. A few of her other tables around us were complaining about bad service also.
    At cracker barrel you just hope you get a 4 star waitress/waiter. Look at the stars on the apron, 4 is the top.

19. Member
    Nope would not of tipped.
    One time a buddy of mine left a note on it said this is your tip. Open it up he wrote down everything she did wrong and how her manners were terrible. Hope it was a wake up call for her.

20. Member
    Only a couple times because of terrible service. Otherwise I tip based on just how well we are waited on and how hard the person waiting on me/us is trying.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast