Question 2005 merc xr6 new ignition switch motor won't turn over

Serial number1B029436, merc xr6 150 hp. Motor won't turn over, power tilt and trim won't work. Is there like a main fuse on the motor that may be blown? What should I be looking for?
    thanks Dave

2. Member
    Checked batteries fully charged. My old switch wouldn't turn fully to start motor. My initial first turn of key didn't produce single beep type alarm, so I replaced switch. Replaced switch turned key over nothing. Tilt trim on shifter nothing. Checked fuses off starting battery OK. Is there a fuse on motor that could have blown? If so where is it located?
    Any help or suggestions appreciated!
    Dave

Yes.....there should be a 20 amp fuse inside a little fuse holder mounted directly above the starter solenoid. Its at the top of the metal plate that your switch boxes and started solenoid mount to....

4. Member
    Thanks I will check this out

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdmymerc View Post
    Yes.....there should be a 20 amp fuse inside a little fuse holder mounted directly above the starter solenoid. Its at the top of the metal plate that your switch boxes and started solenoid mount to....
    +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    I cleaned the 2 fuses coming off battery that are in enclosures. They were pretty dirty but not blown. Tried tilt trim at back of motor to remove cowling and it worked! Pumped my bulb jumped up front put key in and turned it and the engine fired up right away.Oh my gosh could not believe it. I hope this isn't a random start and there is a short somewhere. That would be a bad scenario! Thank you for your help! I still need to check motor for burned or bare wires.
    Dave

7. Member
    ??? why was ign replaced , hope it wasn't just a fuse connection
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Couldn’t get key to turn in switch. Had to force it to turn motor over and then it wouldn’t do anything

9. Member

10. Member
    The new ignition switch fixed my starting problems. Starts right up now after a year of fighting with it to try to get started, it acted like it wasn’t getting spark half the time and lots of flooding.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor