Prop help, please

Thought I would ask a few questions over here as there is more traffic. Hope this is ok.

Got 225 Yamaha HPDI on ZX 2002 C Skeeter . Trying to find a good prop . Using a friend's Yamaha 25 pitch 3 blade prop this morning the rpm's were going over 6000 and prop spinning. At about half throttle I could get on plane under 5500 rpm but it just doesn't seem to be the right prop. No speed over 40 at 5500 and propose badly.

So I loaded up and will try another guy's prop tomorrow. 4 blade 26 pitch Yamaha prop. What can I expect from using this prop? Will rpm's be less and hole shot good? I am just going to try it because I can and really hope it works as it won't cost like a new prop.

Did get an idea over on the prop forum but not many folks post over there.

Help appreciated.

2. Member
    If you're going over 6000 on a the 25p you may be running too high. Having said that if you go to a 26 from a 25 you'll drop about 200rpm. Going from a 3 blade to a 4 blade you'll drop more but likely gain in hole shot and low end... assuming no other setup change.

I've a 20i with a 250 hpdi now and my 26p 3 blade (which i'm selling) is too much for this boat and I find the 25p to be ideal. I'm running quite high 2" below pad running low 70's.

I ran a 26p 3 blade on my last boat a ZX and even tried a 27p but it was a little too much as well.

I'd expect you found lower rpms maybe 5700 on that 26p 4 blade but good holeshot and a slight loss on top end.
    Current: 2006 ~ 20i ~ 250 HPDI ~ T1-25p
    Previous: 2005 ~ ZX 225 ~ 250 HPDI Phase III - TXP 26p

3. Member
    Assuming you have a jack plate, drop the motor 1/2" and work up or down from there. Sounds like you're just too high, or have a bad prop.

Everyone I know, including me, runs a 25" - 3 blade. Assuming you have a Yamaha M.

I alternate between the M and Tempest, both 25" and have no problem. Just change every now and then for the heck of it. Really can't tell much difference.

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

$ blade 26 Yamaha did get a better hole shot and no spin out. Ride is smooth, no porpoising which is great and topped does suffer some. All in all I think it's going to be fine for now. Will look into dropping a 1/2 in and see what happens.