Hooking Up/Unhooking w/Uneven Slope

I have the opportunity to store my boat in a friend's garage for the winter. Obviously I'll do just about anything to make that happen but need to check all boxes on this first. His drive slopes down pretty hard but the garage is level. Am I going to have any issues trailering up come spring time with this slope difference? Please see advanced diagram I slaved over for more clarity...trailer.PNG

2. Member
    What kind of trouble?

It'll depend on the slope at the bottom and at the top. You may "Bind" at the bottom, and not be able to easily unhook at the top. The degree angle will determine this. I'd do a test run way before you count on this so you'll have time to find an alternate storage.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

I have a similar condition but I can back my boat and truck into the garage to hook/unhook level. You have to be very careful and watch the top of the motor when the bow of the boat is pointed downhill until the trailer wheels break over from angle to flat. I have a standard 7' high garage door and I have to trim the motor down so not to hit the opener when backing in. Also, depending on the angle of the driveway, you may bottom the trailer. Like suggested get a few buddies and test the process.

I have this to deal with too. The biggest issue I have is if I don't get the truck back far enough. This causes the jack to bottom out before the hitch is all the way on the ball. I have gotten good enough that when I miss I only miss by about 1/2 inch, when I do I just pull the pin and kick the jack and let it drop the rest of the way on(the hitch has made contact but doesn't get the full tongue weight). I have never experienced any binding or other problems. I didn't have this problem when I had a shorter boat where the tongue was further back.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

6. Member
    I have a similar issue, but a gentle slope. If I don't use a brake lockout when backing up, the actuator stays compressed, and I can't get the coupler off of the ball. Another option for me is to chock the trailer wheels when in final position, put the truck in gear, and gently ease the truck forward a few inches. This will decompress the actuator. But I find it easier to use a lockout before backing up. I use the Sea Cure Release Me magnetic lock.

http://www.seacuredfishing.com/release-me.html
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Member
    Appreciate the insight guys. I've been mulling it over, I'll have to go give the property a look over. It's a great option especially with the fact that I'll be putting it in and taking it out once a year. I store it elsewhere throughout the season. A lot of things to factor in here, bottoming out at multiple spots, height of the door is 8ft, should give me plenty of clearance but the approach angle of the motor will be interesting. I'm sure I'll be back for more insights from the group.

Quote Originally Posted by behls16 View Post
    Appreciate the insight guys. I've been mulling it over, I'll have to go give the property a look over. It's a great option especially with the fact that I'll be putting it in and taking it out once a year. I store it elsewhere throughout the season. A lot of things to factor in here, bottoming out at multiple spots, height of the door is 8ft, should give me plenty of clearance but the approach angle of the motor will be interesting. I'm sure I'll be back for more insights from the group.
    Hope it works out for you !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

needed to put a utility trailer full of house hold goods in a garage with same issues.
    managed to get trailer inside (barley fit)--- tongue was to low to use trailer jack so we grabbed a floor jack. because of angle the latch mechanism would not release from hitch ball.
    pulled back to level ground and replaced receiver hitch with one I carry that has an implement pin.. the pin has about 2" that sticks above the hole.. was able to lower trailer on to pin and CAREFULLY back it in.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Will the boat being under this sideways stress cause any hull issues if stored over winter...?
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    Will the boat being under this sideways stress cause any hull issues if stored over winter...?
    What sideways stress ?

I have done what your saying the worst part is you actually have to push on the gas pedal to back into the garage and I only had 1/2" on each side so that was tough. Coming out??? No issue if it goes in?
    Yes I had my motor all the way down at one point and had to lift it before bottoming it out but the chassis wasn't very close at all. 10' blades were a pain in the azz for sure.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

I had a problem due to my steep driveway that I could not lower my dolly wheel when I had the boat positioned in the garage. I had to back up further then needed to get the trailer to lift, thankfully I had a rear garage door that allowed me to do this.

A couple of times I would put a length of 2x4 under the tires to give me the extra height. I have since put air bags on my truck and have no issues.
    Last edited by BMCD; 10-02-2019 at 08:51 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    it's all dependent on the slope. Only one way to find out for sure and that is to just send it.

15. Member
    multiple updates...good and bad

The bad...My buddy doesn't know how to use a tape measure. (I had not been to his new house yet to know this) His garage is 19ft deep, not 29ft deep. Now I thought about this, he somehow measured once with a 25ft tape and somehow got 29ft. I will continue to leave my taxes and only my taxes to him.

Now the good...
    I store my boat covered outdoors April-November at a family members and live in an apartment complex. Well my apartment complex is an old silk mill rebuilt, so I go exploring this afternoon and peak through some windows into the basement area, decide to take a walk down that way. As I'm heading down the ramp in the lower level I run into Scott my maintenance guy and ask him if he'd show me around, we walk around. It's 80 yards by 30 yards underneath, he's got a couple tractors and some salt pallets, so naturally I ask him if he'd let me store my boat down there. "sure, I'll give you the extra opener so you can get in and out whenever."

BINGO, I now have free indoor winter storage with 24/7 access. Just bought some wheel skates and a dust cover. You can bet Scott is going to find a few cases of beer outside his office this year.

Take Scott fishing too! That's a great end to the story.

Great ending to one heck of a measuring debacle!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

18. Member
    Get yourself a hitch with dual balls, when you’re back the boat in or out use the smaller ball. It should release much easier.

EDIT:
    Sorry I just seen this is no longer active problem. Thought I would leave my reply in case it’s useful in another situation.

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Well this worked out quite well! Good for you!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV