Raingear tool trick

Up here in Washington I fish in the rain alot. Raingear can be bulky to move around in, especially if you're layering clothes underneath. I have tool trays on my RT but get tired of constantly bending down to grab pliers to get hooks out of fish. I used to put my pliers in a pocket but sat down once and the pliers pushed through the pocket poking a hole.

Now, I drop a decent magnet in the front thigh pocket of my raingear and my pliers just cling to it from the outside! No risk of holes, no bending every time I catch a fish, no digging in pockets. I prefer it over using a lanyard as I find it's more secure.

2. Member
    That's a really cool idea, might just have to go find me a big ole magnet.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

3. Member
    Good idea. Probably work on cold weather gear, too. Thanks for posting.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joefish View Post
    That's a really cool idea, might just have to go find me a big ole magnet.
    We get the magnets out of computer hard drives, they come in handy.

5. Member
    Sounds like a good tip to me! I am curious if this could perhaps be dangerous if you keep a phone in your pants pocket? Or other electronic device?

6. Member
    Hmmm, sounds like you are concerned about a magnet getting near your phone. I, also, thought that was a NO NO.

Yet, I've bought and used magnetic car phone holders for the last three or four years. I bought them for all of my kids, too. Not an issue yet on anyone's phone. Of course, the power of the magnet may be something to think about. I don't know.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmastermatt View Post
    Sounds like a good tip to me! I am curious if this could perhaps be dangerous if you keep a phone in your pants pocket? Or other electronic device?
    Magnets don’t generally cause problems with any electronics.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Hmmm, sounds like you are concerned about a magnet getting near your phone. I, also, thought that was a NO NO.

Yet, I've bought and used magnetic car phone holders for the last three or four years. I bought them for all of my kids, too. Not an issue yet on anyone's phone. Of course, the power of the magnet may be something to think about. I don't know.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    An extra magnetic phone holder is what I originally used but through the garment it just wasn't strong enough. I upped it to one I had on the boat for retrieving lost lures. I like the CPU magnet idea though! Also, put the magnet in a ziplock if you're worried about it rusting in your pocket. And remember to remove it before you wash your clothing lol.