Broken upper motor mount....again!

I have a 2014 250 Pro XS and in 2016 I was driving like a maniac on Ken lake in big water and the upper motor mounts at the exhaust plate blew out. My fault for driving that way. Ordered the parts from Don, replaced the exhaust plat and associated parts, and all was good......until yesterday. Had a tournament on St Clair lake MI. and as some of you might know; St Clair is known for rough water. However; having the understanding that driving like a maniac in big water can cost me; I drove "nice". (My wife appreciated it), and it happened again. I'll be ordering the parts from Don Again.

My question is; is there something else I should be looking at that may be causing this (besides my driving). I saw lots of other guys driving crazy and didn't hear or see them having problems. I asked around and no one had ever experienced this; although I know it happens. Any wisdom is appreciated. :)
    Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.....

2. Member
    You need to install an adapter plate/mount from a "Mercury Racing XS"...….problem solved!

Savage would this also apply to ser#2b121485 15 or 16 year model as well. Just need to plan ahead if this becomes a problem for me
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Another thing. Are you using some sort of motor support when trailering? Bass Cat Boats has mentioned several times that using the motormate rather than the older transom saver has resulted in quite a number of pro tournament guys having broken upper mounts. Whether that is related or not is unknown not knowing what you are using.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Savage would this also apply to ser#2b121485 15 or 16 year model as well. Just need to plan ahead if this becomes a problem for me
    Any 3.0 liter mid.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    You need to install an adapter plate/mount from a "Mercury Racing XS"...….problem solved!
    Or install the stock rubber mounts as the exhaust plate was designed for.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Or install the stock rubber mounts as the exhaust plate was designed for.
    This is a weaker setup.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    Another thing. Are you using some sort of motor support when trailering? Bass Cat Boats has mentioned several times that using the motormate rather than the older transom saver has resulted in quite a number of pro tournament guys having broken upper mounts. Whether that is related or not is unknown not knowing what you are using.
    Wow, sure would like to hear more about this....

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanH View Post
    Wow, sure would like to hear more about this....
    YES, Me too???

10. Member
    Those motor supports are killing mounts go to old style and no more issues folks
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Those motor supports are killing mounts go to old style and no more issues folks
    Total BS, The ride down the road is no worse than the ride down the river. The design is the problem plain and simple. A clamp bracket is no match for for a solid mount.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    that's why I don't replace um any more with bolt on clamp out of warranty , its XS plate or go somewhere else, fine wit me
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Sorry Ron... no go on that comment. Simply not true or accurate.

What is killing them is ROUGH OPERATION. That can be extremely rough water, collision with objects, OR (Regardless of WHAT type of support is used) trailering the boat through pot holes and across speed bumps at rates of speed that will absolutely cause something to break.

I have customers that have been running the ProXS style adapter plate and mounts for over 15 years with ZERO failures. You can also look at their rigs and tell that they treat their rig as an investment (take care of it well).

Solid plate used on many of the XS models is an option (as Joe mentioned). It too, can break, given the right (abusive) circumstances, however.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks Don for your help. I'll be putting the upgraded plate on in the next day or two. I'll update as soon as I see what happened exactly.

15. Member
    CRASH ive seen some that the 3 bolts that hold the cap over the mnts came loose then broke plate and cap, notice how thin the area is that retains the mounts , just too thin for me
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Thats interesting because the bolts were loose on the cap. They appeared to have backed out. I had applied thread locker last time on those too. Both the cap and plate were broken and it looked like there was quite a bit of movement prior to them breaking. I now have the up-graded adapter plate. :) No bolts to back-out.