Let’s talk hydraulic jackplates

I have a ranger RT198p with a 150 hp Mercury four stroke mounted on an Atlas 4 inch hydraulic jackplate. I am spinning a 24 inch tempest plus that is very slightly dinged. My boat has two power poles and I usually have around 20 gallons of fuel in the tank. Total tackle, rods, tools, culling equipment and other necessary stuff that most of us carry on board weighs no more than 150 lbs. presently I can get up to around 57 mph gps and around 52 mph with a rider and his gear. I have noticed that my boat performs best with jack plate all the way down. In that position my prop shaft is 4 1/4 inches below pad. If I’m running around 50 mph gps and start to raise the jack plate my speed drops and the rpm’s increase. Is this normal? One part of me wants to think that if the engine is raised above the present 4 1/4 inch setting it should perform better. At least that was the case on my previous glass Z518 Ranger with a 200 hp. Any opinions?

2. Member
    I’m not sure the 150 will turn the 24 with a load. That’s why you’re jacking it up. I’d try a 21, or better yet a 4 blade spitfire. The 4 blades tend to do better at higher settings. You get more ear surface in the water. The 150 doesn’t have low water pickups.

I dint think youll you’ll get the speed to pack air like you did with the 200 bigger block motor. IMO you’re comparing apples and oranges. I think the advantages of the hydraulic plate on the 198 or 188 is fast idling over long shallow flats.

Agree with your comment about fast idling over long shallow flats. That is the main reason I ordered the hydraulic plate. I just thought that maybe the hydraulic plate could also help with a little more performance. Thanks for input n2ratfishin.

4. Member
    What rpms at those speeds?
    Quote Originally Posted by n2bassn View Post
    I have a ranger RT198p with a 150 hp Mercury four stroke mounted on an Atlas 4 inch hydraulic jackplate. I am spinning a 24 inch tempest plus that is very slightly dinged. My boat has two power poles and I usually have around 20 gallons of fuel in the tank. Total tackle, rods, tools, culling equipment and other necessary stuff that most of us carry on board weighs no more than 150 lbs. presently I can get up to around 57 mph gps and around 52 mph with a rider and his gear. I have noticed that my boat performs best with jack plate all the way down. In that position my prop shaft is 4 1/4 inches below pad. If I’m running around 50 mph gps and start to raise the jack plate my speed drops and the rpm’s increase. Is this normal? One part of me wants to think that if the engine is raised above the present 4 1/4 inch setting it should perform better. At least that was the case on my previous glass Z518 Ranger with a 200 hp. Any opinions?

+1 need to know the rpms youre getting. Is a 4” jp all thats offered i thought they allowed a 6” atlas on that hull?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I have the same set-up. I can only get 53. I also have an additional trolling motor battery as I run a 36V system. 24 Tempest Plus, 4" Atlas, Twin Talons, Full load, Mercury 150 PRO XS 4 stroke. My tach is at 6200.
    10-4 on the jack plate all the way down and anything less than WOT it will tend to porpoise on me. I use my jack plate to get me in some skinny water, not additional speed.

Check Posts #917 and #920 in "Pictures of your Tin"

Wide open by myself my tach is showing 6200 to 6400 depending on how much I trim it up. With a rider and his gear I can’t even get to 6000 rpm. That is with engine all the way down.

I too had a Z518 CI with a 200 Pro XS Optimax and would do over 74, but that was with a 25 Tempest Plus.
    Best I got on my RT 198 w/150 Pro XS 4S is 55 with a Tempest 25. It would not turn a 26 Tempest to the full rpms.
    I think you are getting all you will get. Guys with the G2 do slightly better in the mph.
    Drop back to the 23 that came on the boat when you have a passenger and see what it will do.
    Other than that, WYSIWYG.

4” isnt alot of setback so you wont be able to run as high as say with a 6” jp. 4 1/4” below pad doesnt seem like its excessively high that blowout should be a huge issue. Any if you guys running worked props ie added cup and balanced or they all out of the box?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

The 24 was off my last boat and was stock. The others I tested were stock. I am not going to spend $$$ for a couple of mph or give up the additional items (to reduce weight) for speed.

When I was looking at replacing my Z518 CI, what I saw was Ranger would only allow a 4" Atlas on their RT198. That is why I have a 4". Some other brands (aluminum), would not even allow nor mention adding a Jack Plate. One Dealer said the factory stated "Not permitted" on their brand of boats. (Notice I did not say what brand.)

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    The 24 was off my last boat and was stock. The others I tested were stock. I am not going to spend $$$ for a couple of mph or give up the additional items (to reduce weight) for speed.

When I was looking at replacing my Z518 CI, what I saw was Ranger would only allow a 4" Atlas on their RT198. That is why I have a 4". Some other brands (aluminum), would not even allow nor mention adding a Jack Plate. One Dealer said the factory stated "Not permitted" on their brand of boats. (Notice I did not say what brand.)
    Going off topic for a quick second:

What are your thoughts on comparing your 198 to your previous Z518, in a general kind of way? I realize no matter how you slice it a tin rig con't compare to glass in a couple aspects, but have other advantages....
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

I bought the Ranger Z518 CI Boat of my dreams April of '17. (Only down side it had a 80# trolling motor) Great layout and with no carpet worked great for my fishing in both salt and fresh water. Very easy to trailer. Easy to keep Clean. Very comfortable. Very fast. Very solid. On thing was, trying to keep it pretty, I was always a Nervous Nelly when fishing in Oyster beds. 200 Mercury Pro XS Optimax very stingy on fuel, great torque, awesome speed. I put a 25 Tempest Plus as it came with a 24 Tempest Plus.

Can't really compare the two. Apples and Steak!
    My requirements for the boat was Bass Boat Style, No Wood anywhere, No Carpet, like to keep it under 21', and somewhat of a Vee style to have a more comfortable ride. Some of the Flats boats, Hewes, Mavrick, qualified, but the Salesmen were some lazy folks. Xpress: I did not fit, G3: Salesmen did not return my call, Ranger had a larger fuel tank than the G3.

I hate that Ranger quit making them in the 518 because this it what happen to me the beginning of Jan. this year. Dude that hit me was going over 50 mph hit the motor as I was making the turn. On his cell phone! I could not afford the 521 Intracoastal at $90K White van is what hit me. I could have bought it back, but I could not trust the transom after that accident.

IMG_1953.JPG

I was hit by the guy going 50 MPH +
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mechanic Bob; 09-30-2019 at 11:51 AM. Reason: make it clear that I was hit!

13. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    OUCH!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

I also went from a Z518 to a RT198 P. They both have great fishing platforms. Glass boat was better in rough water and was not effected by wind as much. My rt198p is fine in wind as long as I am on the trolling motor. Get off the motor to re tie , the aluminum boat will drift away very fast. Solved that problem with power poles and spot lock. The main reason I went to an aluminum boat is because I’ll soon be 73 and I find it very easy to jockey around in my garage. The glass z518 was just to heavy. I also spend my winters in Florida and the 1000 mile tow s effortless and the aluminum boat is perfect for the chain of water I fish. I have no regrets at all making the switch. Even though i am a little OCD when I comes to my boats I do find the aluminum a lot easier to keep nice compared to a glass boat.

Mine was the Intracostal, so keeping it clean was not an issue. Really don't know why they stopped making them in the 518.