question on water pressure

I have a 2019 Xpress x21 with a 250 sho. The water pressure never shows over 10psi it will be 10psi at 2k rpm and 5k rpm. They run a hose from the motor to under the dash then it goes to a automotive type sending unit then wires to the gauge . Shouldn't the sending unit be closer to the motor instead of running 12-15 ft in a 1/8 in hose. I think I am not getting the correct reading on wp. any ideas ?
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

I wish I would get 10 on mine. I get nothing..........

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    I wish I would get 10 on mine. I get nothing..........
    When I 1st got my boat it had 0 wp. Found a kink in the water hose under the dash
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

Two new gauges 2 new lines no kinks....... what I have read & heard, typical SHO. Yamaha Rep states " if it is peeing, it's OK". Ridiculous statement to say the least but You just can't beat "new technology". My problem is I can't look back to see if it's peeing at 74 mph. That's why I said if you're showing 10 psi, that's great.

5. Member
    Something must be wrong with your gauge or sender , I have a mechanical Yamaha gauge, tube right to gauge , reads 0 idle but has pee stream , then heads up to 10-12 half throttle , 15 psi at 6k rpm if I run even with pad it drops down to 10 psi.
    Last edited by av; 09-30-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

6. Member
    Yamaha has always said their cooling system is more about volume not pressure. I don't know but if your engine is staying cool it's probably nothing to worry too much about.

7. Member
    I have had two SHO's 250hp. My last boat, and my current boat, have the Yamaha gauge package integrated into the dash. For both boats, I read 1 psi while in idle. At WOT, I read 15-16 psi.

8. Member
    The device in the dash is a pressure transducer and they aren't accurate. I tee'd in the line and installed a manual pressure gauge. The pressure is great with it and the other still read low and lower.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tharris811 View Post
    I have a 2019 Xpress x21 with a 250 sho. The water pressure never shows over 10psi it will be 10psi at 2k rpm and 5k rpm. They run a hose from the motor to under the dash then it goes to a automotive type sending unit then wires to the gauge . Shouldn't the sending unit be closer to the motor instead of running 12-15 ft in a 1/8 in hose. I think I am not getting the correct reading on wp. any ideas ?
    The position of the sending unit should not matter. On the motor or at the gauge, the reading should be exactly the same.

Now having the sender at the dash can be a problem if the hose breaks there since water might get sprayed under the dash. Salt water particularly is no good. On the other hand, having water sprayed under the cowling is not good.

You can get a common water pressure gauge from Home Depot and temporarily plumb it to the garden hose fitting. See what the pressure is there when running the motor at WOT.

When it comes to fuel tank quantity indication issues, there is the common saying "it is the sender, it is the sender, it is the sender". I suspect that it is the sender in your case.

Truth be known, if the over temperature alarm is not sounding then you do not have a water pressure, water flow, or cooling problem. Many that have lots of water pressure, but an over temperature problem, would love to be in your shoes.

Let us know what you find please.

There is nothing wrong with my gauge. This is not nuclear science. It is a simple straight forward analog gauge. There is nothing electrical about it, except for the night light. I have taken both gauges and the lines out of the boat. You can blow through them, both work. I have hooked them up to my friends boats, they work. I suspect it is a problem with the motor. I took the plugged fitting off & replaced it with a fitting from Sims Yamaha . Still Nada.. It may be the motor " outlet" ( for lack of a better word) blocked, I don't know. But my SHO runs great with no issues. My motor is a 2009. Yamaha replaced the powerhead in 2012. I have 406 hrs on the motor Total. It was replaced @ 233 hrs, so I have 173 hrs on the powerhead. And it has been this way with WP ever since. So, tell me what the problem is, LOL

11. Member
    I have a 2015 Skeeter ZX 250 with a 250 SHO, and I just took my boat to the shop today. I'm having the third water pump installed this year. I don't know what is going on, but really sick of it. You guys experienced anything like this?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with my gauge. This is not nuclear science. It is a simple straight forward analog gauge. There is nothing electrical about it, except for the night light. I have taken both gauges and the lines out of the boat. You can blow through them, both work. I have hooked them up to my friends boats, they work. I suspect it is a problem with the motor. I took the plugged fitting off & replaced it with a fitting from Sims Yamaha . Still Nada.. It may be the motor " outlet" ( for lack of a better word) blocked, I don't know. But my SHO runs great with no issues. My motor is a 2009. Yamaha replaced the powerhead in 2012. I have 406 hrs on the motor Total. It was replaced @ 233 hrs, so I have 173 hrs on the powerhead. And it has been this way with WP ever since. So, tell me what the problem is, LOL
    Salt water or fresh water?

I would suspect a blockage within the power plant. At the port where the sender fitting is connected. Remove the fitting. Boat and motor in the water. Start the motor. Is water running out or not?

As I mentioned for the other fellow, get a 0 ~ 30 psi pressure gauge from Home Depot. Unscrew the garden hose fitting and connect the pressure gauge to it. Both the gauge and the GH fitting are female. You will need a male to male adapter. Also from HD. Have someone monitor the pressure on the gauge as you drive the boat. You are looking for more or less 11 psi at wide open throttle.

And don't forget that you have over temperature switches and a sensor to guard the motor. Many folks don't believe in, or have, water pressure gauges.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrose View Post
    I have a 2015 Skeeter ZX 250 with a 250 SHO, and I just took my boat to the shop today. I'm having the third water pump installed this year. I don't know what is going on, but really sick of it. You guys experienced anything like this?
    What are the symptoms of the bad pump impeller? What did the previous impellers look like? Very unusual. Not normal at all.

Are you running through sand, silt or mud?

Hopefully no one is starting the motor out of the water with the impeller being dry.

14. Member
    Just stops pumping water.

Quote Originally Posted by rtrose View Post
    Just stops pumping water.
    First off find a new mechanic! Impellers will last for years. Unless your running your motor in dirt, sand or with the motor out of the water. Even then pump will push water out the tell tail. You may also have debris in your water system blocking the water passages. Also check the pressure relief valve. I replace my impeller and housing every 3 to 4 years just because. My old impeller looks Like the day I put it in.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,