Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Losing big SMs on spinnerbaits !!!!!!!!!!

Fished Oneida yesterday and at 0700 it was pretty windy, dark and rain coming. Perfect day for spinnerbaits, so I'm throwing a 1/2 bright sb with a Keitech trailer with tail dyed and a trailer hook. Get a 3-4# SM on, comes to the surface makes a big swirl and is gone. Later in the day, hook another SM about 3#, get it within couple of feet of the net and it comes off. Are these fish just clamping down on the bait, you think they are hooked and they let go ???? I don't normally give a big hook set when fish hit my spinnerbaits, thinking that the bait is moving pretty good and they are charging it, but maybe SMs move so fast they match the speed of the bait and you get a poor hook set. I will jerk harder in the future. Any hints ??

2. Member
    Trailer hook

I went through this a couple years back. Break their neck with a hookset. You need to get the hook to penetrate “through” the wire. I think a lot of times fish clamp down on it and, because the wire is there, only get skin hooked. You don’t get the hook penetrated unless you hit them, hard. I also started having the problem more in the fall after catching them well over the summer. I think that was at least partially driven by their mouths getting harder as the water cools, but that’s just speculation.

Braid can help, though I found that I flat out started missing them when I went that route. What I finally settled on (which is what I’m onto for swim jigs, buzzbaits, chatterbaits, etc. as well) is the braid paired with a mod-fast rod. The mod-fast rod gives them time to get the bait, and braid makes your hookset really count.

That’s just my experience, different strokes and all that. It’s also not to say that you have to throw braid, you absolutely can and I often do throw them on fluoro. You just have to remember to hit them when they get the bait. The trailer hook isn’t a bad idea either, I think that helps especially for smallmouth in that it’s a hook that isn’t shielded as much by the wire, and smallmouth might not get the bait as well anyhow at times.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    Thks DrewFlu. Had braid and a trailer hook. Keep telling myself to wack 'em hard. Didn't learn that when I grew up fishing Wheeling creek with soft craws and helgrimites.

5. Member
    I've anytime I'm using single hook baits: jigs, spinnerbaits, swim jigs and chatterbaits and texas rigs, drill the hook home as hard you can. Especially with a spinnerbait or a swim jig since your usually using heavier line anyways. Cross their eyes when you set the hook and your hook to land ratio should go up. My tournament partner is an older guy and he loses alot of fish on baits because he doesnt simply set the hook hard enough, even when using a trailer hook. Probably why he prefers to drop shot so much lol.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalliehunter91 View Post
    I've anytime I'm using single hook baits: jigs, spinnerbaits, swim jigs and chatterbaits and texas rigs, drill the hook home as hard you can. Especially with a spinnerbait or a swim jig since your usually using heavier line anyways. Cross their eyes when you set the hook and your hook to land ratio should go up. My tournament partner is an older guy and he loses alot of fish on baits because he doesnt simply set the hook hard enough, even when using a trailer hook. Probably why he prefers to drop shot so much lol.

how does drilling them when they eat the chatter bait work for you?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 455kHz View Post
    how does drilling them when they eat the chatter bait work for you?
    Set the hook same way I do with a swim jig or spinnerbait.

8. Banned
    Just have seen it not work for a lot of guys from what I assume the blade forcing the fishes mouth open. About a 60% hookup difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 455kHz View Post
    Just have seen it not work for a lot of guys from what I assume the blade forcing the fishes mouth open. About a 60% hookup difference.
    I heard some people say that, but it's something I've not experienced. I can't recall ever losing a fish hooked on a chatterbait and I hit them hard when they bite. I have had smallmouth slap at the bait and short strike, but those fish aren't hooked. BTW, to cure that problem, I slow the bait down. Since going to a 5.1:1 reel for fishing chatterbaits, this problem has been greatly reduced.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    I went to a heavy rod with a soft tip (Kistler feel & reel) to get a better hookset and still let the bass take it deeper. It helps.
    I almost always run a trailer hook, but occasionally, when they are really swallowing it, I've had the trailer keep the bait from getting deep, and on those days, get a better landing ratio without a trailer hook.
    A big bass can clamp down pretty hard, so you NEED a hard hook set.

11. Scraps
    I'd prolly ditch the trailer and shorten up the skirt. If that doesn't work I'm going to a big lipless o 20lb mono. Have had some phenomenal days in October fishing shoals this way.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Member
    For sure ditch the trailer, and replace it with a trailer hook with smallmouth. I understand why some throw it on braid, but I think Fluoro is a bit more forgiving.

It's amazing how many you catch just on the trailer hook. If I had a swimbait on the back, I would not be landing those fish.

13. Scraps
    Maybe reel it a little faster.....that's what the text book sez. I have a tough time fishing up there convincing myself of that so haven't validated this for myself. I know some like a big, heavy glass rod for playing mean smallies.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Member
    I was fishing a spinner bait yesterday for smallmouth. I usually trim the skit up a bit, and I put a smaller Keitech on the back, a 3.3". All three of the smallies I hooked yesterday had the hook buried. I also run 17# FC and use a H power rod. When they bite I crack them hard and winch their butts in the boat. It's a no nonsense, pure power technique for me.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

Might be rod you are using. Something with a little more give might work. Sounds like they are gaining leverage and hence pulling it out from them. Especially Smallmouth. They are relentless at spitting or trying to spit a bait.
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

16. Member
    I was fishing a spinnerbait Saturday and lost 2 I was using braid I switched to 15 lb mono and landed every fish I hooked after switching using a 7' heavy fast rod.

But the guy that was fishing with me he noticed after 2 hours of fishing theywas a piec plastic on his hook from when he bought it.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

17. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I must fish a little different than a lot of what I’m reading. I fish spinnerbaits on a 7’ med-fast with 40lb 832. I always watch my lure and try to keep the spinnerbait just at the depth that I can’t really see it anymore. Since I’m a lure watcher I swing early sometimes. Once I learned to let the fish turn their head and load the rod before I swing...my hook up % went WAY up.

With a chatterbait (stiffer rod but softer tip) I was also hitting them too fast since I use 40lb 832. But once again when I give the fish that extra second to turn their head and start to load the rod before I swing I have really high %’s with both lures. And yes I swing like they stole something from me!

I’ve never used a trailer hook in my life on a spinnerbait, and I very rarely use a trailer. Just my .02
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I must fish a little different than a lot of what I’m reading. I fish spinnerbaits on a 7’ med-fast with 40lb 832. I always watch my lure and try to keep the spinnerbait just at the depth that I can’t really see it anymore. Since I’m a lure watcher I swing early sometimes. Once I learned to let the fish turn their head and load the rod before I swing...my hook up % went WAY up.

With a chatterbait (stiffer rod but softer tip) I was also hitting them too fast since I use 40lb 832. But once again when I give the fish that extra second to turn their head and start to load the rod before I swing I have really high %’s with both lures. And yes I swing like they stole something from me!

I’ve never used a trailer hook in my life on a spinnerbait, and I very rarely use a trailer. Just my .02
    Similar to Casslaw….no trailer, no trailer hook, 40 lb braid...but my rod is a Denali 7' Medium crankbait rod. Softer rod lets them get it deeper, braid still gives a good feel and good hookset. I have felt that "electric shock" feel with this combo, that you sometimes get with a plastic worm.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Shorten the skirt and put a swimbait on for a trailer.. I’m sold on the jewel Jem blade. I’ve had bigger smallmouth hit the blades instead of the hook and hang on for a bit, the swimbaits seem to help with short strikes

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    Fished Oneida yesterday and at 0700 it was pretty windy, dark and rain coming. Perfect day for spinnerbaits, so I'm throwing a 1/2 bright sb with a Keitech trailer with tail dyed and a trailer hook. Get a 3-4# SM on, comes to the surface makes a big swirl and is gone. Later in the day, hook another SM about 3#, get it within couple of feet of the net and it comes off. Are these fish just clamping down on the bait, you think they are hooked and they let go ???? I don't normally give a big hook set when fish hit my spinnerbaits, thinking that the bait is moving pretty good and they are charging it, but maybe SMs move so fast they match the speed of the bait and you get a poor hook set. I will jerk harder in the future. Any hints ??
    Bill.s
    I fish 1000 Islands just up I81 from Oneida Lk, and spinnerbaits are 1 of my goto baits. I have learned that fish are smarter than my American Bully, so they don't hold on to something that is NOT food very long. When you get bit, DON'T WAIT TO SET THE HOOK since fish have NO hands so the lure is in their mouth, and I use a heavy med power/fast action 7' with nothing less than 12# line 6:1 or 6:3 reel for 1/4 to 1/2 oz and 5:1 for heavier.
    I like to trim my lure's skirt just about the back of the lure's hook oval shaped leaving a few long strands to go with the long shank 2/0 trailer hook, since the water is gin clear, I use light color translucent skirt or just a few strands of blue or chartreuse, double willow or willow/small colorado keeping the speed and cadence to what the fish like based on when I get bit.
    BTW, I use FC or XT for 1/2oz or heavier baits and Sensation or XL for lighter, and leave your crankbait rods for crankbait, since that is what they were made for.
    Tight lines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast