Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    For sure ditch the trailer, and replace it with a trailer hook with smallmouth. I understand why some throw it on braid, but I think Fluoro is a bit more forgiving.

It's amazing how many you catch just on the trailer hook. If I had a swimbait on the back, I would not be landing those fish.
    This is my thinking too. I only really use a trailer (grub or swimbait) if I'm largemouth fishing, and or target fishing around brush/wood and/or fishing in dirtier water. I've had times where I don't use a trailer hook at all cause they're so keyed in on that swimbait profile and gaggin on it. Don't get to fish that way too often tho where I'm from. Usually its trailer hook only and really jack em when you set the hook.
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

2. Member
    Im not sure what im doing any differently than you guys that are having hook up issues but i rarely lose one on a spinnerbait and i fish a spinnerbait alot. My favorite is the War Eagle Finesse Spinnerbait with the little turtle shell (Oklahoma) blade. Maybe the smaller profike and shorter arm helps. If so you can try the Zorro Baits short Arm Aggravator
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

3. Banned
    Treble hook trailer

4. Member
    This has been a very interesting thread. I throw my spinnerbaits (especially long distance casting largemouth/smallmouth) on a 7’mh fast action rod with #18 fluorocarbon and a reel that recovers 31ipt. I very rarely miss a bite or lose a fish during the fight. I also fish my swim jig on an entirely different rod and the hook set is completely different also. With a swim jig I use a 7’2”mh fast that seems a hair softer than my spinnerbait rod and I wait for the fish to turn with the bait before cracking them. This is the same rod I like for buzzbaits. Then my chatterbait setup is the same reel but with a 7’6”mh fast. Though this rod seems more like a crankbait rod to me. I use #40 braid with a #17 mono leader. When I get a bite with this setup and a chatterbait I literally just lean back with the rod and start reeling. Virtually never lose a fish. You can see the rod load up. The difference with a chatterbait is that I’m always using a ZMan Razor Shad and it doesn’t have a wire arm over the hook. So it’s a bulky bait but nothing in the way of the hook point. Just very interesting to see what works for everybody

5. Member
    Try a short arm spinnerbait. I bought one of those knuckle baits which was garbage IMO and changed the "knuckle" to a small willow leaf, had good luck with it...Zorro makes a short arm too.

6. Member
    If your in open water flip your stinger/trailer hook over point down. They’ll hook up for sure

7. Member
    I think the arm of the spinnerbait is flexing preventing you from getting a good hookset. This happens a lot with thin wire spinnerbaits with a lot of vibration. Some people suggested a short arm spinnerbait where the arm is stiffer. You can also buy regular spinnerbaits with larger diameter wire that is stiffer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12