Merc 250 R 4 stroke

Hi fellows,
    i sure have admired the Allison line up through the years. Would enjoy a ride in one someday.
    My question is this. If I repower my Legend 211 r with a merc 250 racing would I gains more thrill in the 0 to 60 mph range? Will the racing 4 stroke motor out push the 250 xs 4 stroke on a hull like mine?
    thank you for any input.

2. Member
    I am not the foremost authority on this but I am fairly certain that you will not get everything you are looking for out of the 250R vs the 250XS on a Legend 211. The 250R will come with a SportMaster lower and you will not get the benefits out of it with a Legend. Your hull will likely be to heavy for that lower unit. I believe you would benefit much more from the 250 XS and a torque Master lower unit. With the V-8 you will still experience a much improved hole shoot and midrange. The R models are very intriguing and I am taking a chance by putting a 300R on a Bass Cat Eyra with a 1600 lbs hull. As stated, I am not the authority nor do I own one yet. (Order is in) I have just done a ton of research and have enough knowledge to be dangerous....lol I am sure that a few others will chime in with first hand knowledge. Good luck!
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

Do you currently have a Mercury 250 on the boat? If so, what speed is it running? What gear ratio? That will answer the sportsmaster vs. torque master question.

If you are going from 250xs to a 250 4S I would not expect it to pick up that much. So if you are well below the sportmaster speed requirement I wouldn't expect the 4S motor to significantly impact that.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

We don’t think the Legend 211 will offer what the 250R needs to reach potential. That’s a surfacing gearcase and that style hull is not a surfacing style performer.

We would think you wanted to view a newer boat package if your moving up on engines also. That is a more realistic spend as the rigging and engine are substantial, let alone the wait times.

5. Member
    Thank you so much for input.
    I am running a 250 Pro XS 2 stroke at 73 top speed loaded.
    1.75 gear case
    i was looking for more 0 to 60 acceleration.

6. Member
    If your looking for acceleration there is no equal to an allison.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capt odie View Post
    Thank you so much for input.
    I am running a 250 Pro XS 2 stroke at 73 top speed loaded.
    1.75 gear case
    i was looking for more 0 to 60 acceleration.
    I don't have numbers, but I can tell you the 250proxs V8 seems to pull a lot harder then the 2S, you feel it in the seat. And many people who have rode with V8 say the same thing. Mostly this is because the 4S has that torque in mid range rpms. One of the reasons you do not really need to mess with PVS plugs on 4stokes.

I would think you would get the same feeling. I see no benefit to the 250R 4S on that hull though.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    If your looking for acceleration there is no equal to an allison.
    Cough cough Bullet 21SS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley21SS View Post
    Cough cough Bullet 21SS
    Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley21SS View Post
    Cough cough Bullet 21SS
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    I don't have numbers, but I can tell you the 250proxs V8 seems to pull a lot harder then the 2S, you feel it in the seat. And many people who have rode with V8 say the same thing. Mostly this is because the 4S has that torque in mid range rpms. One of the reasons you do not really need to mess with PVS plugs on 4stokes.

I would think you would get the same feeling. I see no benefit to the 250R 4S on that hull though.
    Not to argue but I have found proper venting makes a huge difference with my 300R with 1.75"s! I have it vented same as I did my 250 XS with 1.75's.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

You could run the 250 ProXS V8 and put the solid lower mounts from the R on to get that benefit while retaining the torque master.

13. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    You could run the 250 ProXS V8 and put the solid lower mounts from the R on to get that benefit while retaining the torque master.