Any Issues With Your Merc 115 Pro XS?

Any of you guys having issues with your Merc 115 stalling on the 1st start of the day?

This happened on the very first turn key when I took it out for the first time. The engine started, then it died 3 seconds later. Turned the key again and it was fine after that throughout the entire day.

Well, now it's happened 3 out of the 4 times I've taken it out. It seems when the boat sits for a week, it does this.

I don't see a primer bulb to pump on the Vexus.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Any of you guys having issues with your Merc 115 stalling on the 1st start of the day?

This happened on the very first turn key when I took it out for the first time. The engine started, then it died 3 seconds later. Turned the key again and it was fine after that throughout the entire day.

Well, now it's happened 3 out of the 4 times I've taken it out. It seems when the boat sits for a week, it does this.

Mine doesn't stall or turn off, but there's an intial drop in rpms for about 2 seconds before it picks up to its regular neutral rpm setting. This happens to me when the OB has not been run for a week, but I treat this new outboard the same way I treated my previous 2 stroke. I place the muffs on the OB the day before my outing and run the OB for 3 minutes. This way I know everything is in good working order. When I launch the next day, and start the OB I don't get that sudden drop of rpm or any signs of the OB wanting to stall on the initial start. Try that out and see if your OB responds differently.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

3. Member
    That is typical with mercs from my experience. I have owned three of them in my life and all were so to speak cold natured. Once ran good for the rest of that day and the next. If two days pass same old same old. To me nothing more aggravating than an engine dying on ya when you are attempting to get off the trailer. I would think over the years merc would have figured something out but guess not. Like I said that’s just my experience with them.

4. Member
    Trim has leaked down sitting static since day one. The dealer looked at it and said they found a loose screw. I haven't checked it since I got it back. The trim works flawless all the rest of the time, it just leaks down after it sits a day or so. I have put a 1X in between the plates when I store it in the garage for so long I just do that now. Knock on wood not one other hiccup in the three years I've owned it. I do the routine maintenance and it purrs.

There is no primer bulb. I think this is what some have had issues with.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/attw...0aAquPEALw_wcB

5. Member

Did you ever resolve this? I'm having the exact same issue with my 115 Pro XS. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
    Did you ever resolve this? I'm having the exact same issue with my 115 Pro XS. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    What I do is turn the key to on. Wait about 2 secs, then turn to start.

I guess the fuel pump or whatever needs that extra couple seconds to prime.

Mine has been perfect.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Member
    EDIT: Double post
    Last edited by Emilime75; 09-16-2021 at 09:50 AM.

9. Member
    No issues with dying but the trim did bleed down dealer finnaly replaced trim unit with new one all good now

10. Member
    What I do is turn the key to on. Wait about 2 secs, then turn to start.

I guess the fuel pump or whatever needs that extra couple seconds to prime.

Hmmm...mine's a new to me 2018 model that I bought in May of this year. It didn't do this for the first couple of months, then started to. I'm suspect of the FDV. Mine is integrated into the fuel tank, as opposed to most others being inline in the fuel hose. And, of course, the integrated one is around $100 compared to about $30 for the inline version of the same thing.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
    I took delivery of a new 150 pro XS, started the first time then stalled. I had to put it in neutral and pump the stick to start. It turned out they sold me an engine with a recall. Dealer sent me a new IAC valve, I put it in and runs perfect now.

12. Member

trim issue

just to let you know, my 2018 90 tiller, went threw 3 trim units, mine kept leaking down over night, then it got so bad when I would run down the lake the motor would start to drop down. finally the dealer told me that mercury had a bunch of trim units that had metal shavings in the cylinder and it would screw the seals up. finally got a good one and haven't had a problem since. Roger
    2022 1875 Lund Renegade XS
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Garmin Force TM
    (2) Garmin 12"

13. Member
    just to let you know, my 2018 90 tiller, went threw 3 trim units, mine kept leaking down over night, then it got so bad when I would run down the lake the motor would start to drop down. finally the dealer told me that mercury had a bunch of trim units that had metal shavings in the cylinder and it would screw the seals up. finally got a good one and haven't had a problem since. Roger
    2022 1875 Lund Renegade XS
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Garmin Force TM
    (2) Garmin 12"

14. Member
    60hrs still flawless.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS