Thread: Engine covers??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engine covers??

I am wondering what is the purpose of the neoprene looking engine covers? Like what are the real benifits? And is that what they are made from? Thanks..

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Keep from getting the cowling scratched/banged up.....i have one but i fish where there are lots of cyress trees, bushes, etc. so it keep it protected. Or if you have a co-angler that is bad at casting, it would help keep from getting banged up with baits......if someone fishes where there are no trees, or around anything that can scratch it, no need to have it......made from a canvas material with a soft lining on the inside.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I have one of the Yamaha covers that i only leave on towing, saves me from scraping bugs off the engine big time.

4. Member
    I have a RPM cover with the SHO logo. My stays on all the time. It is vented for adequate cooling. Cowl still has brand new looks.

5. Member
    I have an rpm cover as well, keeps off the bugs, protects against scratches from limbs, sun fading and flying jigs.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

Can’t imagine fishing the waters I frequent without an engine cover. Low limbs, trees, careless fishing partners, bugs, you name it. My cowling would be scratched beyond recognition.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Can’t imagine fishing the waters I frequent without an engine cover. Low limbs, trees, careless fishing partners, bugs, you name it. My cowling would be scratched beyond recognition.

Dwight B
    Semper Fi
    2023 Ranger Z520R, Merc 250HP Pro XS,
    Lowrance HDS LIVE 12 Console and Bow Active Target, Dual 8ft Blade Series Power Poles,
    TH-Marine Atlas Jack Plate's 10" Setback

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    A strong second motion! The cover being vented stays on 100% of the time except when changing the filter or checking the oil level. I've even had people run down the ramp to tell me my engine cover was on while backing off the trailer......usually good for a laugh!

9. Member
    Good info, Thanks guys, I actually may look into one. Backwater fishing can become limb infested quickly...

10. Banned
    It's purpose is to leave scuff marks on the lower cowling pan... I bought one from a board sponsor and spent good money... Never again... Dan

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    It's purpose is to leave scuff marks on the lower cowling pan... I bought one from a board sponsor and spent good money... Never again... Dan
    This is the first negative comment about one. Is there any way to prevent this scuffing? I'm considering getting one for my nice shiny new Suzuki cowling before it has a chance to get scuffed.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    I've run into the same issue. The 1" nylon strap that goes around the bottom scuffs the lower pans on the corners where it is exposed. Going to try the 3m clear Scotchguard Paint Protection tape to solve the issue. If I can just figure out how to make the tape contour to the compound curve in the scuff area.
    2017 Ranger Z520C / Mercury 250 ProXS 2S

13. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    On the RMP covers, the nylon strap at bottom is not exposed except where it comes out the holes under the wire loom.......

14. Member
    They're definitely more popular in the south. Up here, you stick out like a sore thumb and get laughed at with them.

15. Member
    Mines almost 6 years old and it works great. My engine would look terrible without it!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    On the RMP covers, the nylon strap at bottom is not exposed except where it comes out the holes under the wire loom.......
    That's actually the one I have and the strap is exposed on the two back corners. I bought it this spring. Maybe they have changed design or suppliers.
    2017 Ranger Z520C / Mercury 250 ProXS 2S

This company's vented splash cover does not use any buckles or straps and they supply the vented covers to the Mercury Dockstore have had one for 7 years no marks or scratches on the cowl super tight fit.
    https://outboardcovers.com/usa/

18. Member
    Who is the board sponsor? I emailed tuffskinz about a cover for my Suzuki DF200SS and they said they can make them. They look slick, not sure what the quality is like.

19. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wendler View Post
    That's actually the one I have and the strap is exposed on the two back corners. I bought it this spring. Maybe they have changed design or suppliers.
    Mine is almost 4 yrs old so if yours is newer than mine it may be a newer version.....i just looked at it and the nylon strap is incased all the way around.....

20. Member

motor cover

where can you get a vented cover for mercury 250xs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast