Question 2004 Mercury 200hp carb motor alarm

So I replaced both oil lines a couple months ago due to finding 3 barbed fittings in it between the boat oil tank and the engine mounted tank... New to me boat...
    After doing so I ran the motor on muffs and made sure it purged the air out and filled the motor oil tank. While doing this the alarm was going off due to the oil level float switch until the oil level returned to normal. Eveything has been fine since. I just got home from fishing tonight and the alarm was going off constantly. After getting the boat back on the trailer I removed the cowling and checked the oil level in the motor tank. The alarm is definetly coming from the float because I can lift it and the alarm quits. But there is oil in the tank. Im not exactly sure if its actually below the float or not. Its close... Is there a reason that the oil level would be low in the tank? I have almost a full tank in the boat. Or is it just a bad float? How should I proceed?

2. Member
    Also, how do I know what liter size my motor is? Its a 2004 Mercury 200 Carb motor. Im assuming its a 2.5 liter?

3. Member
    The oil tank on the motor should be completely full, no air. If it drops a little the alarm may go off. But it’s also a common failure for the alarm module to go bad in the tank too. You will need to make sure the boat tank is being pressurized by the motor and that there are no leaks on the tanks, caps or lines. There is also a check valve on the pressure line. And your motor is a 2.5L. You can post in the 2.5L forum in the future and it is asked that you provide your serial number.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    +1 and they didn't build any 3.0L CARB 200 mtrs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................