Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2019 honda 225 on charger is a lame duck

I have a 2019 honda bf225 with 2.0 lower on a charger396. Top speed running a 25 tempest plus at any height is 65-66 at 6000 rpm. Holeshot was never what I'd call quick until I jacked the engine up fairly high. With high it had a pretty good holeshot of 2-3 seconds and lost no speed due to slip but the rpm didn't go up when I moved it up that 3/4 of an inch to get that good holeshot. Why didn't the rpm change? Slip didn't increase but shouldn't freeing the prop up with height increase rpm? Also I moved it down 1 and 1/4 inches for a tournament carrying 44 gallons of gas and live well water and the holeshot was pitiful but top end remained exactly the same 6000 rpm and 65 mph. Why doesn't anything except holeshot change? Rpm speed? Will it carry a load with a high motor height? If it will I'll just put it back like I had it and except my 66 mph although the 396 is a fast charger hull. A guy on the charger group has one with a 225 pro xs 2 stroke running high 70-80. I really thought I'd be able to do a little better than 65-66 at 6000 but it seems to be stuck there no mater what adjustment I make. It really embarrassed me in my tournament today. I almost didn't want to weigh in after my blast off holeshot fiasco

2. Member
    When I had it high I took the info and put in the mercury prop slip calculator and came up with 7% slip. After lowering it down 1 and 1/4 inch and running it today and putting the numbers in, I'm still at 7%. So 7% slip over and 1 and 1/4 inches of engine height if that matters to anyone. Could my prop be tight as in worked maybe? I bought it second hand in great condition from a Phoenix owner who said it ran strong on his boat

3. Member
    I just did the math and the 7% slip, 6000 rpm, and 65-66 mph is consistent even with a load difference of 652 pounds

4. Member
    MY guess if you run a nmea digital tac you are probably more like 6150 to 6190 rpm's and 10% slip. Either way with a 2.0 :1 gear box on a 225 that 66mph full load should be 3 mph more light so in my opinion 66 to 69 mph is just about all of it. If you don't run a lot of real big water like great lakes big I would run it 1.5 inch below pad to get the hole shot then send the prop out for some cup to make sure slip numbers are low, you should then have best of both worlds.

With my Honda BF250 I have run several props over the last two years and any prop that I can run 70mph with won't come out of the hole in hot humid weather with a heavy tournament load. If I drop 1 to 1.5 pitch I jump out of the hole and only give up about 1 to 2 mph "68 to 68.5mph".

As far as what other guys are running I have found over the years any guy that tells me how fast his boat is I look in the compartments and what they call running heavy I call running light. The big thing I notice with the 2.0:1 gears of the Honda is that the difference between running light and running heavy is only about a 3 mph swing. When I ran my Yamaha SHO it would swing 4 to 6 mph running heavy vs running light. My Mercury 250 pro xs 2 cycle had huge swings of 6 to 8 mph when it hit humid air with a heavy load vs crisp air and a light load. My Honda on tournament day only runs 4 mph or less slower then any Mercury, Yamaha or Evinrude I have run. I have owned Tritons, pro crafts, Phoenix and run in many Rangers all with combinations of Mercury, Yamaha and Evinrudes and all of them were 72mph or less in the heat of summer with a true full load.

When I say a full load it is defined as 20 plus rods and reels, full tackle, two people, full gas, spare prop, spare trolling motor, 2 10 foot blades, tool box not a few tools a full box, 21lbs of ice full live wells, heavy anchor, you get the point what I call "carrying cinder blocks"

5. Member
    My top end speed and rpm don't change with a 650 pound load difference or engine height. The holeshot only changes with load. I'm in Alabama and its hot and humid here.

6. Member
    I'm going to run to furys tomorrow. I plan on sending my prop to be worked. Just have to decide which and what. Not a lot of props to try in my area

7. Member
    Forgot to mention my best all around set up is a custom Tempest plus 24.89 pitch with a lot of cup done by lake Lanier prop. I am running a Honda BF250 on a Phoenix 721 with most loads I turn 6200 rpm's at 68 mph. With that prop it's never slower then 67 it's never over 69.5 mph and most days like I said right at 68 mph. All this is done at 1.5 inch below pad running heavy and 2 inch below pad running light.

8. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I have ran the Honda for years.
    First was a Xpress with a BF150, its still running great my cousin has it.
    I had a Phoenix 721 with the 225 and it ran 67-68
    I had a 921 that ran 68-70
    I have also had a Charger 797 that ran 69-70

I have had 6 or 7 other boats that I didnt have the time to mess with that ran mid to upper 60's
    I never had to run a full tank of gas, usually can fish a month or more on a half tank of gas.
    I have for the most part always ran lithium Pro batteries.

I have never had a hole shot issue, I never hardly run them WOT, 22 gph verse 7or 8 running 55.

The Honda isnt for everyone, especially for a guy coming out of a bullet and has the need for speed.

If you are wanting the best performance your going to have to spend time playing with props and working them. Want to jsut go fishing and not have to worry about the power head. just get a good prop and go fishing!!!

9. Member
    I don't really have a need for speed anymore I just honestly expected more out if this setup. The combination doesn't care what the load is on top end. It's going to run what it runs but the holeshot is where the big margin is between light and heavy. And I actually moved it up a quarter inch today and saw the tach read over 6000 rpm with about a half a mile an hour speed increase so there's something moving in the right direction. Holeshot is still slower but it has a lot of fuel left in it. My tournament run yesterday was only about 70 miles round trip. I also expect a little better when it cools off. Central Alabama is no joke in the summer when it comes to heat and humidity.

10. Member
    If I could get the speeds you guys do and have a halfway decent holeshot, I'd be happy. When I bought this combo I figured it was probably a 70 mph boat max with this engine. I'm hoping prop work will make the difference

11. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Work a Power Tech OFX or OFS, Tempest Plus. Fury have a bad problem of losing cup in dirty water. Not sure I would spend the time and money on one.
    You should be able to get there, I would also look at lithium batteries, and Lithium Pro is going to give you the lightest weight on a set. Ill try and PM you with some info to help you out.

12. Member
    That ofx3 is a wicked looking wheel. Are they good? My 24 fury has about 3 hours run time on it. I'm hoping I can trade it for something

Are you sure the ratio is 2.0 and not 1.87. I believe the 250 is 2.0. My 225 is a 1.87 according to everything I have researched. I can run a 26p txp 72mph @6200 but hole shot is slowish but faster top end. The current prop I’m running is a Razor 4 24p and hole shot is normal and runs up to 69mph @6000 rpm.
    1995 Javelin 400TE w/ 2015 Honda 225
    2001 War Eagle 648 w/ 2001 Honda 50 jet

I also run a hyd jackplate so adjusting motor height isn’t an issue finding the sweet spot for however I’m loaded.
    1995 Javelin 400TE w/ 2015 Honda 225
    2001 War Eagle 648 w/ 2001 Honda 50 jet

15. Member
    No mine is 2.0. The engine came out early summer this year. Now the 200-250 are the same displacement and gear ratio. When I originally looked at the boat it had the 1st gen 225 with a 24 fury. This combo carries a load like maersk Alabama. It doesn't care how much weight I stack in it. The only thing that changes is the holeshot. Everybody where I'm from on logan martin lake is running a fury or whatever comes on an sho. Not many different props floating around to try here. I called it a lame duck but it's just a setup issue that's taking me time to learn to solve. I've considered a razor 4xl. I hate to buy just to try but I may have to. I personally like to use turbo brand props as I've always been able to find one to run on any setup I've fooled with. I'll figure it out if it kills me

16. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    First thing I would do is check that your getting WOT!!

17. Member
    It won't move any farther on the engine

18. Member
    Is it possible since my Motor is so heavy, and my boat doesn't need much trim to run that a prop with more stern lift might work? Maybe I'm not quite getting the pad up on top? Just a question

19. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Question, are you running solid vent plugs, couldn’t find where you said anything about the plugs.
    Need solid plugs.

20. Member
    No. It bogs on holeshot. I've tried about every combination except 3 solid plugs.
    Also here local I've found a 24 fury 4 and a 23 revolution 4. I don't think the owners will let me run them but they're both for sale in good shape. What do you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast