Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I towed in a smaller tin that had caught fire on the water. After using my fire extinguisher to put the fire out (some idiot charged this guy good money to do a horrible wiring job on his 24 volt tm) I used a 50’ dock line (3/8) and just kept it slow.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I average towing 2 or 3 boats a year. I live on a lake and I can hear horns blowing and I know what that means.

3. Member
    I just use my long anchor rope. Towed people before with it no problem. Just take it slow. Don't think I ever get over 6 mph and if you're towing just keep an eye out on how the other boat is riding in the water. If it's up high on your wake just slow down a little because if it comes down off it sometimes it'll do it in a hurry and try to run into you.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

I always carry @ 100’ of anchor rope. Been on both ends of it too. Pulled in bass, ski, and two sailboats. I just hook ‘em up and go slow. I also keep a knife handy just in case of emergency.

In Mass it's a requirement that all vessels propelled by a motor of any kind must have an anchor and sufficient line...... I carry that and that's what I've used quite a few times.

6. Member
    Towed a 20+ foot pontoon about a month ago with 10 people on it. Probably a 2 mile tow. I have 2 10' and 2 20' mooring lines always on the boat, just used those as I have always done in the past. As everyone else has said, slow and steady is the only way.

SLOW & STEADY is the word - as noted a number of times.

Had 1 of our deputies go out with the patrol boat for some pontoon idiot that didn't know how to put gas in tank. Instead of taking them to nearest ramp to go get a can of gas, our hero towed the 'toon with 10-12 people at 3/4 throttle for God-only-knows what reason. By the time he got back to the boathouse, that poor ole Merc tower'o power what knockin' fierce. Only good come of it was them people made happy hour and the office had the "opportunity" to update the motor on the patrol boat.

8. Member
    I have towed three boats in and have yet to be towed. Knock on wood.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    SLOW & STEADY is the word - as noted a number of times.

Had 1 of our deputies go out with the patrol boat for some pontoon idiot that didn't know how to put gas in tank. Instead of taking them to nearest ramp to go get a can of gas, our hero towed the 'toon with 10-12 people at 3/4 throttle for God-only-knows what reason. By the time he got back to the boathouse, that poor ole Merc tower'o power what knockin' fierce. Only good come of it was them people made happy hour and the office had the "opportunity" to update the motor on the patrol boat.
    Towing takes a lot of power. I think some 2 stroke motors use throttle setting to adjust the oil mix. Some may not like to have the RPM's and throttle settings to be way off norm.

10. Member
    The longer the tow rope the easier to tow. Longer rope allows the front end of the towed boat to rise and therefore plow and wander less.

11. Member
    If you fish any of the "big" waters such as the great lakes, you learn quickly to have safety items such as a strong 100' tow rope, air horns, multiple bilge pumps, coast guard phone number, etc...to not have these items can be life threatening

12. Member
    Why would anyone be out there with no rope? Just tying it to the bow and letting it drag can keep you turned in a bad situation. People amaze me.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    I carry a rope that is long enough that i can launch by myself . have towed a couple guys in always worked fine
    Same here. It's a 3/8 rope with carabiners on each end, about 35' long. I've used it several times. I also keep the "Y" splitter used to tow tubes which makes it much better to tow with. Last time I tried using a tube tow rope and it broke twice but the guy towing me was going a bit faster than I ever tried to tow anyone. I'm not sure if the rope was weak or the speed was too much.

My launch rope is a 50' - 3/8" dock rope. Dog clip on one end, locking carabiner on the other end. I have towed other boats 3 times over the years. Slow and steady, just put it in gear and idle.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

Always a good idea to carry at least 50ft of rope.
    Some states require a throwable life saving device and rope to be carried.
    IMO it's best to tie to the bow eye on disabled rig. Slow and steady. Watch heat gauge on tow mtr some will get hot.

16. Member
    I carry a heavy tow rope with two clips on each end its great to have in the boat in case you do need a tow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12