Thread: Lake of Egypt

Lake of Egypt

What’s the scoop all around with this lake? Does it cost to launch, is it a warm water lake? Looks like the ITT fishes a few events there in the spring. Also looks like there’s some good fish weighed in. What plays there? Grassy lake? Brush? Rocks? Just trying to get an idea of what it’s like before I make the journey.
    Wes Smith
    1999 Ranger 519 DVS
    2011 RAM 1500

2. Member
    Lake of Egypt has a great deep bite during the summer. In the winter you can sit on one spot and catch them on top water and 30-feet deep. I ve got a screenshot of that somewhere.

3. Member
    Pyramid Acres is near the dam and is where you launch, it does cost a few dollars. The lake is warm water on one side and cold on the other. The outlet of the power plant is near the dam and the intake is in the middle of the main part of the lake. Go past that and the water is like a regular lake. There is rocks and riprap around parts of the lake, not many weeds but you can find them later in the year. A good hotel that is boat friendly is the Lake Tree inn and suites.

How does Egypt typically fish in early November? We're considering a trip down here or possibly something nearby.
    -RW
    Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    Mercury 250R
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112# iPilot Link
    Garmin GPSMap 1243xsv + 1243xsv @ Helm
    Garmin GPSMap 7616xsv + 1243xsv / Dual Livescope+ @ Bow

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by judecca View Post
    How does Egypt typically fish in early November? We're considering a trip down here or possibly something nearby.
    -RW
    It should look like my screen shot above. Ride around until your downscan look like that.

Fished an Open there recently. They were chomping a Shower Blows pretty good all day long on mainlake and secondary points with wind on them...it was fun.

7. Member
    There is a restriction on how close you can fish to the docks. Do not remember what the distance is though.

I googled "shower blows", just make sure to put - bait -behind it! Try explaining that to the misses!

8. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    I googled "shower blows", just make sure to put - bait -behind it! Try explaining that to the misses!
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

9. Member
    Macks is close too and better ramp . Fee was 5 bucks to launch but I heard it was raised to 10

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    There is a restriction on how close you can fish to the docks. Do not remember what the distance is though.

The restriction on fishing docks is 10'. You can fish no closer than 10' of an owner's dock. Many owner's don't care if you fish closer to their dock, but those that do have a sign posted stating the lake regulation. There is also a 100' restriction on boats docking and swimming near lakefront home sites.

Quote Originally Posted by winner89 View Post
    What’s the scoop all around with this lake? Does it cost to launch, is it a warm water lake? Looks like the ITT fishes a few events there in the spring. Also looks like there’s some good fish weighed in. What plays there? Grassy lake? Brush? Rocks? Just trying to get an idea of what it’s like before I make the journey.
    I have a home on Lake of Egypt (LOE) and fish it every other week, year round. The lake has 93 miles of shoreline, and offers a little bit of everything: soft bottom, hard bottom, rip rap, grass shorelines and downed brush. There are a few sections on the main channel that have shear rock walls with water depths ranging 12'-18' at the base. Average depth of the lake is 18', with the deepest areas at the dam (45-48' depth). As it's a power plant lake, winter fishing can be good at the dam when the winds are out of the South for a few days, as that holds the hot water near the shoreline at the North end of the lake. The lake is known for both quality Bass and Crappie. There is a daily slot limit on the lake for bass, its two over 16" and four under 14". For bass fishing, to get a sense for how the lake is fishing at any point throughout the year, simply look up the US Angler's Choice tournament results for the lake. USAC has a monthly tournament on the lake, with anywhere from 38-65 boats participating. They weigh in their four fish over 16". When the winning weight is in the 14.5 lb range, the lake is fishing average, when the winning weight is in the 18 lb range, it is on fire. Hope this info helps.

12. Member
    I've made 2 trips there, and love the lake, I got a 5.13lb on a pop r last june. alot of 3-4lbs. I like flipping a seedless spoon with a trailer next to the grass on the shore. planning a trip next may.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Carroll View Post
    I've made 2 trips there, and love the lake, I got a 5.13lb on a pop r last june. alot of 3-4lbs. I like flipping a seedless spoon with a trailer next to the grass on the shore. planning a trip next may.
    Nice!
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

The dock restriction is 10', many home owners don't seem to mind if you fish closer to their docok, but the ones that do will have signage on their dock noting the 10' distance restriction. The lake gets a lot of crappie fishing action from Feb thru April, and then levels off somewhat throughout the remainder of the year. For bass fishing, the US Angler's choice tournament season starts up in February and runs to May. The lake gets fished heavily for bass from April thru May as their seems to be anywhere from 1 to 3 tournaments occurring on the lake every weekend during this time. Bass tournaments terminate at the end of May (lake restriction) and start up again in October. So the lake is less congested for fishing, June thru September.