Thread: Newton

Newton

Good luck to the 50 yakers on Newton this weekend.Please keep these guys in mind when running the lake. Luck to all

2. Member
    Was there Thursday and it was tough. Saw a few kayaks out there.
    2005 PT 185 Special Edition
    60hp Tracker Marine
    80# Minn Kota Terrova
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv
    Garmin Echomap Plus 73cv

3. Member
    I went tuesday thru friday. Tuesday was good Weds little slow Thursday slower . got up Friday morning at campsite wind roaring said nope to windy for my old flat bottom, headed home

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    I went tuesday thru friday. Tuesday was good Weds little slow Thursday slower . got up Friday morning at campsite wind roaring said nope to windy for my old flat bottom, headed home
    Where did you camp at? My son and I camped down there at Sam Parr. We got down there Wednesday afternoon and left Friday morning. We had to leave a little early Friday because my trolling motor took a dump on me. Had to swing by Chips in Sullivan and unfortunately he says gonna cost more than what it’s worth. So I’m looking for a trolling motor. Looking at a Terrova.
    2005 PT 185 Special Edition
    60hp Tracker Marine
    80# Minn Kota Terrova
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv
    Garmin Echomap Plus 73cv

5. Member
    Newton has been on fire so I bet it should have been good. Been taking 20 plus for 5 fish to win tournaments lately. Our last tournament we had 19.86 and didn't get anything. That's how good it's been.

6. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisbassfishin View Post
    Newton has been on fire so I bet it should have been good. Been taking 20 plus for 5 fish to win tournaments lately. Our last tournament we had 19.86 and didn't get anything. That's how good it's been.
    Such a fun lake to fish. Even the small fish fight hard.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

7. Member
    What is this SMALL fish you speak of ?

Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    Good luck to the 50 yakers on Newton this weekend.Please keep these guys in mind when running the lake. Luck to all
    I was at Newton this weekend fishing and saw and talked to the Kayakers. On Saturday one of them got ran over by a boat going full out. (25 hp motor) He bailed before getting struck and he is fine. The impact broke his rudder system. He also lost his rods, tackle and most importantly his phone. A local fisherman stepped up and loaned him everything he needed for Sunday.

All I can say is PAY ATTENTION when operating your boat.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

9. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    I was at Newton this weekend fishing and saw and talked to the Kayakers. On Saturday one of them got ran over by a boat going full out. (25 hp motor) He bailed before getting struck and he is fine. The impact broke his rudder system. He also lost his rods, tackle and most importantly his phone. A local fisherman stepped up and loaned him everything he needed for Sunday.

Yikes! Scary stuff.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post

Yup, I was the director for this event. We had 50 anglers competing...so top 5 guys from 10 kayak bass fishing clubs from across the Midwest. It was a team championship and was the first of its kind in the Midwest. We did have an angler in an accident as described above and luckily he walked away without a scratch. If he wouldn't have jumped from his kayak the prop would have went right over the top of his legs. It amazes me how some people are that clueless to miss someone in a visible kayak that was also standing and yelling at them before they hit him. Luckily DNR came and found them still out on the water because they basically said they were sorry and left...no talk about insurance or help to get him back to the ramp. The DNR wrote them a ticket because they had no insurance on the boat...and I wish they would have thrown the book at them for being that stupid. Now our guy has to go to small claims court to recuperate his losses.

As for the event. We go by total inches for 5 fish...not by weight. Since we don't keep the fish and the fish are immediately released we don't have to follow the 18" minimum for the lake. So basically your typical paper tournament and you take pictures of the fish on the bump board. The largest individual score over two days came to 184.75" for 10 fish...so a little over an 18" average. The top team had a total team score of 826.25"...all 5 guys weighed in a 5 fish limit each day. That came to a 16.5"+ average per fish which is pretty typical for newton. We had two 21.25" largemouth caught and a total of 10 fish over 20". I personally lost one that was easily 20-21" due to a poor hook set...but landed one at the dam that was 20.75". I was also on the winning team and placed 13th overall out of 50 with 166.5" for two days.