Thread: More lunacy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More lunacy

Howard County MD wants to bus good students to schools that have low test scores and vice-versa so that the overall scores even out.

Sounds more like a plan to save the teachers' and administrators' jobs than anything to benefit the students.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    Hahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahab
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

3. Member
    Old teacher of mine had a saying. If the kids ain't learning, the teachers ain't teaching.

4. Member
    hahahaha clearly a save your ass move .

5. Member
    Aaahhh, the old bussing trick. It WILL improve the test scores at the low scoring school, for a while, but the bad students will still be bad and the good students will still be good. Education starts at home with the parents working with the kids before they are old enough to go to school...

6. Banned
    I seem to remember a documentary about that. It didn't turn out well

7. Banned
    That's what they did to the school that my wife walked our daughter to in kindergarten. The school is about a half a mile from our home. We got her out of that chithole ASAP. They bussed the kids from the bad area about 5 miles from us even though there are 2 schools closer to them. Come to find out, they had low scores as well. Luckily we have a school within a 10 minute drive that doesn't follow the city school agenda. No busses and no free lunches. You actually have to get up and take your kids to school, pack their lunch and go pick them up in the afternoon.

8. Member
    They tried that in the old town I lived in where my kids went to school. They didn't take into the account all the old money/clout that had kids and grandkids at our happy little school. They learned quickly whose feathers not to ruffle and we reverted back to our original group of "in district" students. It's not the teachers the majority of time it's the quality of student and the attention given to said student at home. Some parents care about their kids and some don't.

"There's no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid people." Mr. Garrison - South Park Elementary

10. Member
    I lived in Howard County for a while. People bought homes in Howard County mainly for the schools if they had kids. It was truly an American Melting Pot most everybody got along well. Many races, almost no outward prejudices. Now some loose school board cannon wants to bus their children to areas where students do very poorly. Howard Countians are very involved in their schools. One would describe most folks there as very progressive. Now push has come to shove, and they don't like it.
    It's very trendy to equalize things, but these folks are very NIMBY. Actually I don't blame them. It will lower property values and expose their children to places the parents would never go to after dark. How interesting to see them protesting, marching and carrying signs against sharing.

11. Member
    True. They all think sharing is a great idea until it is asked of them.

It's about parents that care and instill a work ethic, that value an education , and keep a check on who their kids hang out with. Also keep em so busy in good activities or sports they don't have too much hang out time .

13. Member
    F**k that. I sure as hell wouldn’t want that for my child to deal with that

14. Banned

15. Member
    And Howard County is one of the better ones in the area. I wish we could just give PG county to DC.

Allen

16. Member
    Should definitely be bussing the teachers.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shafer22 View Post
    It's about parents that care and instill a work ethic, that value an education , and keep a check on who their kids hang out with. Also keep em so busy in good activities or sports they don't have too much hang out time .

A person told me once “If a meeting with a parent would help, you wouldn’t need a meeting”. Think about that. Pretty much so nowadays.
    Praying for a Cure

I live in Columbia MD Howard County. Everyday I drive past two bus stops. I see parents driving up in cars and dropping kids off at the bus stop. These folks clearly do not live in the neighborhood. Seems like they are using a borrowed address to have their kids go to a better school. It’s 5 or 6 cars worth and that’s just for that bus stop and that middle school. It’s happening at every grade level and every school. Seems they are taking care of their own bussing.
    Glad my kid is grown and can’t wait to leave the liberal $h1t hole that Howard County has become. My wife and I work hard to live in a decent area but it’s just getting bad here. Section 8 rentals trash everywhere. Who needs it. I’m moving to the country.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edwonbass View Post
    I live in Columbia MD Howard County. Everyday I drive past two bus stops. I see parents driving up in cars and dropping kids off at the bus stop. These folks clearly do not live in the neighborhood. Seems like they are using a borrowed address to have their kids go to a better school. It’s 5 or 6 cars worth and that’s just for that bus stop and that middle school. It’s happening at every grade level and every school. Seems they are taking care of their own bussing.
    That may not be what is going on. In my subdivision the buses only stop at the entrances. The most of the mothers drive their kids to the bus stop so they don't have to walk the 300 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I lived in Howard County for a while. People bought homes in Howard County mainly for the schools if they had kids. It was truly an American Melting Pot most everybody got along well. Many races, almost no outward prejudices. Now some loose school board cannon wants to bus their children to areas where students do very poorly. Howard Countians are very involved in their schools. One would describe most folks there as very progressive. Now push has come to shove, and they don't like it.
    It's very trendy to equalize things, but these folks are very NIMBY. Actually I don't blame them. It will lower property values and expose their children to places the parents would never go to after dark. How interesting to see them protesting, marching and carrying signs against sharing.
    True, Howard county is loaded with mostly Fed Goberment workers and the progressive mindset. Now they are getting some of what they have been preaching, I think it's funny.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast