Triton 205 setup

I have a 1999 Triton 205 multi species boat that I’m trying to get sorted, seems like it should be much faster at wot.

Currently running a 99 225 efi with a 23p trophy plus (with prop ring). Center of prop is 3 1/4” below pad. Just me in the boat I see 58mph at about 5800rpm (don’t fully trust rpm gauge). This comes out to prop slip of 21%. Rocket out of the hole but seems slow at wot.

Seems like no matter what I do prop slip stays around 20-25%. I know these boats are heavy but I see others saying their 205 runs 60-65 all day.

To add more insult to injury the motor has 4 shutter intake, reeds, higher compression heads, 300pm ignition and 250xb fuel computers. Upped rev limiter. Motor seems healthy and happy. So really the engine is probably closer to a 250xb then a 225efi.

Anyone on here have experience with the Triton 205? Where do you think the prop should be below the pad? Did you leave all the batteries in the back by the transom? Seems like I have a setup issue. Or a motor issue? Any suggestions?

2. Member
    Do you have a jack plate on it?

3. Member
    Yes I have a manual jack plate.

4. Banned
    Make sure your getting 100% WOT and check/replace the tach would be my first steps. Got to know the info your getting is correct before you make changes.

5. Member
    Thanks for the tip. I was thinking the same thing. This week I’ll get the tach figured out. It works, just jumps around a bit. Sometimes settles at like 7k rpm when I’m cruising at 40 mph.

When I put the shift control/throttle to wot I can check the tps and it says about 3.9v From my understanding that means the motor is seeing wot.

6. Pat Goff
    If you change motor height and RPMs don't change, something is wrong.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Member
    Once I get the tach figured out I will raise the motor 1/2” and note the change in rpm. Jarhead was right, I need to have confidence in the tach before I go further.

8. Member
    Look at the back of the tach and see if it has a round pot or dip switches. Write down where it is set now pot should have numbers on it and dip switch does to then if it;s a pot turn it left and right a few times to clean the contacts in side then set it back where you started and if it's got dip switches work them up and down to try and clean them. Put it back it the dash and run it to see if it's back to normal. If it's still jumping up and down you'll need a new tach.

9. Member
    I had a 2000 225 Optimax on my old 205 DC and I installed a SC 1000 smartcraft monitor. I did not trust my temperature gauge or fuel gauge so I installed the monitor. It will give you RPM, fuel used, digital engine temperature, basically what I used it for. I’m not sure if your engine is smartcraft, if it is it’s a great piece of mind for under 200.00 and it’s easy to install, plug and play.

You must have accurate digital tach rpms and gps speed
    and as Pat allways says you got to know what is high and what is to low, usually 1/4 to 1/2 below what is to high is pretty close
    I would thing that 3.25 would be to high for that boat resulting in to much slip and reduced lift
    I do not have first hand experience with that boat, but I do have with the mods on that motor and I would suggest, having Eric Simonson reflash the ignition box and run the stock fuel unit. Also perform the engine cowl mods to improve air flow
    Get rid of the trophy if you are after more speed
    3.9 tps does not assure you of full throttle, Visually inspect the throttle system
    What gear ratio of lower do you have?
    Be sure the fuel pressure is up to spec while running flat out
    Last edited by lpugh; 10-03-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh