Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

At what age are you done with fishing?

The other thread about switching boats after a few years got me thinking.

I have had my boat since 2007. I got a great deal on it because it was used with 25 hours on the motor. The first owner had traded it in after 6 months. I knew what the problem was with it before I made an offer and fixed it in 5 minutes.

I have kept up with maintenance but it is starting to show some wear. Motor now has around 400 hours and has not had any problems. I have upgraded electronics and TM.

I know I have blister issues. Carpet will need to be replaced at some point. Seats are starting to have problems. At 400 hours having a motor issue pop up wouldn't be surprising.

I am soon to turn 67 years old. I do not have any health issues other than losing flexibility and some minor aches and pains. If I can plan to keep fishing another 10 to 15 years I am starting to wonder if I should upgrade the boat and have new equipment and warranty coverage again. On the other hand if I only have a few good years left I will make do with what I have.

Is it unrealistic to think you can handle a bassboat by yourself at age 80?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Member
    I don't think age has as much to do with it as health does. Keep going until you don't enjoy it or your health forces you to stop.I have known quite a few guys who have had bass boats or something similar well into their late 70's.

3. Member
    When I can not get into the boat and then I will still fish from the bank if possible!

4. Member
    I am 68. I just bought another "last" boat this year, a 2019. I hope it will not be my actual "last" boat. Like you, I have no major health issues. I say that if you can afford it, at your age, treat yourself to another boat, either gently used or new. I have a friend who is turning 80 this year, and still bass fishes out of his own boat. He is an inspiration to me.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    hard to say how long someone can fish depends on a lot of factors one of my buds is 74 and still going strong ,others are in there 60's and showing signs of getting ready to give it up I'm 67 and so far except for some arthritis and stiffness and normal aches and pains I'm planning on fishing for at least another 4 to 5 years . I can't do the stuff I use to do to my boat but have sons and grandsons that will help out and friends also.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

6. Banned
    I'll be done when they feed me to the fish... Dan

7. Member
    I have a buddy just turned 80 and still guiding.

8. Member
    My 90 year old neighbor still goes fishing with me a couple times a week.

9. Member
    Roland Martin and Tommy Martin should be an inspiration to all of us. I can't believe how much tournament fishing these guys do at their age.

10. Member
    I'm 77, still compete regularly. I do need a new boat, like me, stuff is getting unreliable.

11. Member
    Yesterday was my 69th birthday. (Thanks for the birthday wish Al!) Spend the day fishing on the Detroit River with my 71 year old buddy.
    For me it's a moving target I don't want to put a date or age on how long I can fish. No major health issues at this time but life and fishing aren't as easy as it used to be. Also no decent smaller bodies of water close so driving to Michigan to fish inland lakes or fishing Lake Erie may shorten my longevity. I will say I have had an Ultrex trolling motor for 3 years now and for fishing Lake Erie and the Detroit River it is an absolute must for me.
    1997 Ranger 482vs
    2013 150HO Etec
    Bassmaster Classic Edition

12. Banned
    It's all about your health. My father fished in 2 clubs, off weekend tournaments with me, and we fished a evening or two almost every week. I always figured after he retired he would always be on the water. A couple years before retirement he hurt his back and pretty much quit fishing he goes a couple times a year with me. Says he dosen't trust himself to not get hurt fishing alone.

13. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    Well when my 202 champion platform, becomes too unstable for my old bones. I will hang it up. Till than,, catch me if you can.
    Fishing Texas lakes one at a time
    2000 Baltex hull 202 Elite Champion
    2016 250 pro
    8 inch Hydraulic Jack Plate
    tempest 27 work by Steve
    Hook sets are fishing reality.

14. Member
    Fish till I die...

We have a guy in our club that's going on 82 and still fishes out of his own Ranger. Matter of fact he helps get a lot of us in and out of the water. As for myself, I'll go till I can't.

16. Member
    I recommend do 1 of 2 things.

1. Spend enough money to upgrade your boat to be comfortable and have minimum maintenance.
    - pay to have carpet replaced, repair hull blisters, etc.
    - repower or have engine looked at. Depending on which engine you have, this may be replacing compressor, etc.

2. Upgrade boats to have minimum maintenance.

Part of what you want to do at your age, is just go fishing and not have to worry too much about maintenance. Hook up the boat and go.

17. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I'm going to be 69 next month....my hull is a 98 and sound....I have a 03 250 evinrude on it with the ulterra 2 new birds bow and console.....the layout of the hull and newer additions I feel no need to upgrade on this rig as all is paid for... I'm comfortable and semi retired but do not want new(er) boat payments taking away my time on the water now that I have it.....this rig to me is perfect.....I do need new carpet....coming soon. These additions are less than a boat payment.....

18. Member
    I am 65 and I am going to the grave with my skipping rod clenched firmly in my hand.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

19. Member
    I will be 75 in a few weeks. Had a boat for over 30 years but did get rid of my last boat 2 years ago. Age was not the only reason for getting rid of it. My balance is not good due to cervical disc degeneration and after one cervical disc surgery and more needed I felt it was time to let the boat go. I had to fish by myself a lot and wife didn't want me doing it any longer, so decided to get rid of my triton. I still fish some from the bank and I have a few friends that have bass boats and if invited, I don't say no. Still love to fish and plan on doing so for much longer, God willing

20. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I bought my 4th last boat from Sherm's Marine 3 years ago. It was a 2015 with 19 hours on the engine. I'm afraid this will have to be my actual last boat, just due to financial reasons. Of course, if I win the lottery it won't be.

I'm nearly 73 years old and still fish about once a week, sometimes twice. I guess if I get to the point where I can't get in the boat, I'll have to quit. I'm still doing pretty good health wise, so I plan to keep on chunkin' baits for a few more years.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast