Thread: ALX Rod Users?

ALX Rod Users?

Anyone use Braid with a Fluorocarbon leader? If so; what knot and what Braid size are you using? To my understanding; braid to leader works with these guides. I have been using 40 lb. Sufix 832 with a Alberto Knot; but I get a lot of back lashes. I don't know if it's the knot or the braided line that is digging in on it's self. The reason I am using this is to be able to change out different style baits and different size leaders as needed for these baits or clearer water. Thinking of going back to Mono or straight Fluorocarbon.

2. Member
    I tried 832 and wasnt a fan, felt it was to rough which is friction thru the guides. For me i use braid on spinning for bottom contact with 8 lb leader. I like the power pro , with alberto knot. As for casting its 50lb on frog rod, 65lb heavy flip,30 lb on swim jig chatter rod with 15lb leader . That is what works for me with no issues, look for a smoother braid would be my suggestion.

3. Member
    I've got 1 ALX "shake" rod I got a couple years ago. I use braid/fluoro and tie the FG knot. no issues /w guides.

I use straight fluorocarbon and mono. I do not use braid

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post
    I've got 1 ALX "shake" rod I got a couple years ago. I use braid/fluoro and tie the FG knot. no issues /w guides.
    I am going to try the FG Knot. I sure don't like tying this knot. It took me four attempts to get the knot so-so. Fluorocarbon is so much easier for me. But I'll always try.

What part of NC are you located?

7. Member
    I seriously doubt that it is the braid digging in unless you are very lax about keeping it halfway tight on the spool. 40# was the first I used on a baitcast reel. Never a problem with digging in. I use braid on very few reels...on rods being used to cast into slop. Any other time I prefer co-polymer or mono. I don't use leaders. I suppose I could try one on an ALX rod and see if I have the same problem you are having. Currently using Fins 45# on my Toadface. I also use the Alberto knot.

Zolo Rosa, Daiwa Zillion SV TWS, Tufline 30#, Seaguar InvizX 12# with a modified Albright knot (5 wraps down / up) = all good

I use 8#, 15# or 20# flouro (Seaguar Invisx) with a uni to uni tied to 30, 40, and 50 # braid - either J Braid or 832. Never had an issue spinning or casting. The only rods I have that are all fluoro are two cranking rods. Everything else is one of the afore mentioned versions.

How long is your leader?

When you do backlash? From the start or further into the cast?

10. Member
    If you’re reeling the knot onto the spool you will have problems especially as you go to heavier leaders. You shouldn’t need that long of a leader and if it gets short the Alberto is so easy to tie it doesn’t take long.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

11. Member
    Blood knot no problems to speak of.

12. Member
    Fins 40g all day every day

Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    If you’re reeling the knot onto the spool you will have problems especially as you go to heavier leaders. You shouldn’t need that long of a leader and if it gets short the Alberto is so easy to tie it doesn’t take long.
    Haven't heard this one before. I typically run 12'+ leaders and have no issue on 20# fluoro. That's well on the spool.

14. Member
    I have 5 ALX Ikos rods. 3 casting and 2 spinning. I use Sufix 832 to Yo Zuri hybrid on all of them, using an Alberto knot and don’t have any problems. My leader length is usually the length of the rod. Anytime I backlash, it’s usually because I didn’t set my brakes correctly. Here is my braid to hybrid info:

50lb braid to 15lb hybrid
    40lb to 12lb
    30lb to 12lb or 10lb
    10lb to 8lb
    10lb to 8lb or 6lb