Rod handle length

Has anyone ever tried to cut a fishing rod handle? My pitching rod handle is way to long. Its about 16 in. long. And the length of my forearm is about 12 in. from wrist to the inside of my elbow. This restricts the angle I can pitch at. All the rods I look at with heavy power have long handles. Any ideas?
    Luck favors the prepared ; Louis pasteur

2. Member
    I have done a couple. Acutely had my original carret stix break clean in the middle of the split grip so i sanded down a piece of 1/2 oak dowel rod and epoxied it in the the break and has held. I cut a 1/2 inch section out of the split grip of my Tatula frog rod and did the same thing but the piece of dowel rod broke. I had to drill that out and epoxied in a piece from a broken rod and that has help.

3. Member
    I've cut down a couple, for that same reason, it just wasn't comfortable. I'd suggest cutting an inch at a time. Easier to cut off then try and add more handle length.

It will change the "Feel" and possibly the action also. I'd keep it that way and use it as a Swim Bait rod with that long handle it'd be perfect, and buy another rod for whatever you're using it for !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    I had a rod builder who cut off the extra length which he also added some weight to balance it.

It worked out perfectly. You might want to see if there is one local.

6. Member
    Thanks guys for the input. I plan to cover the butt end with a Cush it and possibly some wood for weight. Up here in Mass. We don't swim bait fish to often. And pulling a 10 Pound bass out of heavy cover would be like hitting the lottery.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by poleNhand View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to cut a fishing rod handle? My pitching rod handle is way to long. Its about 16 in. long. And the length of my forearm is about 12 in. from wrist to the inside of my elbow. This restricts the angle I can pitch at. All the rods I look at with heavy power have long handles. Any ideas?
    I cut my jerkbait rods to keep the handle out of my pockets. Cut the butt cap and about 1" of the cork off the rod. Cut how much blank you need removed (short of 1") then apply the cork over the 1" exposed blank that you have cut down.. You wont be able to tell its been altered and no more than what your removing you wont be able to tell the difference.

8. Member
    I cut the handle off a fly rod once and epoxied on a spinning rod handle, made a very fun trout rod!

9. Member
    I had a 7’6” with the same problem that I had riverfish custom rods cut down 2” and it solved the problem and can’t even tell they cut it down so if u have a rod u love have cut it down.

10. Member
    Well I did it, I cut about 3"S off added some pine for filler and put a Cush it on it. I like a lot better now. Thanks everyone for your input.

I have a 7’11” Shimano Cumara that always bumps my belly. I’ve always thought about cutting it down but it hardly has any grip at all. If I cut the end off, I wouldn’t have anything but bare graphite rod sticking out that I would have to find some way to cleanly terminate.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. Member
    [QUOTE=SoonerFan;10606145]I have a 7’11” Shimano Cumara that always bumps my belly. I’ve always thought about cutting it down but it hardly has any grip at all. If I cut the end off, I wouldn’t have anything but bare graphite rod sticking out that I would have to find some way to cleanly terminate I drilled a hole the size of the graphite in a piece of pine and slowly took it down the outside to fit a Cush it over it.

You can buy cork or EVA butt caps for solid cork or split grip blanks at Mudhole. Cut away.
    https://www.mudhole.com/Components-R...ips-components
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    You can buy cork or EVA butt caps for solid cork or split grip blanks at Mudhole. Cut away.
    https://www.mudhole.com/Components-R...ips-components
    I've cut several down and you would never know it.