1996 mercury 2 stroke hard start

Serial# 0G412145
    Hi, I am having a hard time getting my 1996 25hp mercury 2 stroke tiller, non electric motor started on initial startup, usually takes 30-40pulls, then will fire, after that all day long starts and runs just fine, little background,
    This spring I brought it too the local mechanic to have the issue fixed, when he looked at it he said the primer gasket was shot and was just shooting fuel all over, so he replaced that and cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor, when I got it back it started fine but would not stay runnning unless I primed the ball every 5-10 seconds, he couldn’t figure it out, so I took the boat home and read online about the carburetor gasket not being cut right to work the fuel pump, took it apart and sure enough the holes didn’t line up so I took a razor and expanded the hole in the gasket, and sure enough it runs like a top and won’t die, now a few months later I am having the same issue on cold start, it won’t start unless I pull on it forever, so today I sprayed a few shots of mixed gas in the carburetor and fires right up. I always pull the primer about 3-5 times and make sure the ball is hard, but I’m thinking the primer is not actually squirting any gas into the carb, i can watch the mechanism push down on the plunger, but when I push on it with my finger it just doesn’t seem right, any thoughts on this? I’m guessing it’s the primer but could it be the carb gasket, I will order the right one but I don’t believe it’s that.

LETS FISH IT!!

2. Member
    you can pull carb away from mtr and fill bowl and check primmer
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................